Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Outdoors

Another fun thing about this new house is this ....
The gentleman who lived here for the past 30 years was an extraordinary gardener. His children told us that the soil in the garden is the 'best dirt in Bountiful' because he painstakingly cultivated it year after year. And it must be because check out the size of the fruits & veggies....

The pumpkin hiding in there is seriously ginormous.
Which sounds really amazing except that I don't know how to garden. Nobody tell the previous owners that because I told them I could.  Well, in fairness to us, Mike had a garden when he was growing up and we've grown tomatoes in past years but who hasn't?  Tomatoes aren't hard.  When we made the offer on this house, the only thing they countered back with was that they could come back and harvest everything that was already planted.  No problem.  And so I've gotten to know Lisa, a wonderful granddaughter of the amazing gardener, who has already taught me so much about gardening.  Mike and I were far more enamored with the size of the yard and the possibilities of such fun play space than we were with the garden itself.  So now we'll have to marry the two -- create fun play space and keep some of the "best dirt in Bountiful" to keep producing great produce.  The raspberries, strawberries, grapes and fruit trees just keep producing by themselves, which is perfect, and then we'll keep the garden to a manageable size.   Come on over to pick some fruit off of the trees, 'cause believe me there's plenty!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Where exactly are you at?? What's the address?

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!!! I am SOOOOOO jealous. When we left WA for NY, Belinda was truly devastated at leaving her garden, and I would have given just about anything to walk into what you have. What a GREAT home!! (And, YEAH, I would totally come over if, you know, I didn't live 2,000 miles east.) :)

Misty said...

I live right across the street from Schwabs, if you know where that is ...

The Lymans said...

Our previous owner would have a stroke if she came back to see her/my yard now. She spent every spare minute working in it. Maybe we could take a gardening class together in all of our spare time.