No, they aren't triplets. In fact, there's a 6 year age span between them. But Mike, Paul & Nate all have similar builds, hairlines and voices and are often mistaken for each other -- even at extended family parties and sometimes by people who know them well.When any of our families has a child who is about 1 yrs old, these three like to play mind games with them. They'll lovingly go up to each others' kids and say, "Come to daddy. Come here honey...." The poor kid will sit there confused and unsure. Possible psychological damage? Maybe.
Back in college, Paul and I happened to have a class together and would walk to our cars together. Someone who knew Mike and me passed by and said, "Hi, Mike & Misty!" Paul just waved. It was easier than explaining.
Once at a family dinner, I came up behind Mike and put my arms around him. Startled, Nate turned around in my arms and said, "Hey Mist." Good thing I didn't go in for a kiss, eh? And in my defense, they looked the same from the back. I do actually know which one my husband is.
While Mike was serving as bishop, Nate came to our church meetings a couple of times. He was known to "release" people from their callings or cancel meetings. He'd never explain to people that he was joking or that he wasn't actually Mike.
Good times.
8 comments:
Wow, that is freaky! I'm sure they have played plenty of jokes over the years. I guess the most important thing is that their wives can tell them apart!
I'm pretty sure Mike is that guy in the middle who liked to release people from their callings in your ward.
ok, you have to give me a concrete example of Nate doing the releasing or I won't believe it. Mike looks sooo much younger than his younger brothers. (you're welcome Mike) 40 looks so dang young. I've never noticed it before
That is crazy. They do look so much alike, it even took me a second to find Mike.
I'm really proud of myself because I've never met Mike before. (far left) I think all those stories are so dang funny. Although I could pick him out from this picture, I probably wouldn't be able to tell if you and one of the brothers met me for lunch somewhere some day. Too funny.
Erin: Nate came to our ward a few times. He would wait for someone to say "Hello Bishop" to him, then he would say, "Hello Brother, I wanted to tell you what a great job you are doing with your calling. You have done such a nice job that we've decided to release you now. Thanks for your great service." And then he would just walk away. Happened at least three or four times. He also would walk around the Church telling whoever was in ear-shot that "Sunday School is cancelled today. Go enjoy some free time at home."
I love it! What fun the family parties must be! How confusing for the young children!
And I'm happy to say I picked Mike out quite easily, but if the picture had been taken from behind....
I guess it's a good thing I wouldn't recognize your hubby's backside.
SHOCKING resemblances! Holy Cow! And the story of Mike's brother releasing people and cancelling Sunday School made me laugh out loud :)
Post a Comment