Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Aftermath

Every year, I wish I could take pictures of after hours Christmas Eve activities. Know what I mean? But I have young readers (namely my own children) and so the after hours stuff must remain a mystery to them. This year, there was a serious emergency on Christmas Eve. Many phone calls were made, frantic drives by several people out into the cold on a shopping mission ... Wish I could give more details. Thanks to the heroic efforts of several people, emergency solved resulting in a very happy child. Let me just say, if you ever buy something from a store and they rummage around in back and bring you an unmarked box of the supposed item, DOUBLE CHECK that the box contains what you hope it contains. Just do it.

Christmas morning in a new house feels a little different. I sometimes still feel like we're just visiting here. No real history, yet. But it was fun, too. We set up an air mattress in the guest room so all 4 kids slept downstairs. They aren't allowed upstairs until 7am, and then not before they've called the parents on the phone to make sure it's ok to come up. Grandma came this year to be part of Christmas morning with us. We followed our tradition (which Grandma started years ago) of having everyone drink a glass of orange juice before they can see their loot and dig into their candy horde. Mom always said it was to raise our blood sugar before we ate candy first thing in the morning but whatever the reason, the tradition continues in at least two of her children's households. Funny.

We've done a whole lot of nothing this week, which we've all needed. I've done more unpacking, my never ending chore, the kids have played non-stop on the new Kinect and Mike has slept in a drug-induced haze. Cousins are here from out of town so we had a massive sleepover last night. Isn't that what the holidays are about? We did slip in one movie so far -- "We Bought A Zoo." Go see it. Immediately. I want to go again already. The music, the sweet & sad storyline ... Perfection for me.

Still in my pj's at noon. Must be Christmas break. :)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

No mention of stomach flu on Christmas Eve? We missed you! So glad the "situation" resolved itself.

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Sounds like great traditions and family fun! I was just wondering about that movie myself--glad you liked it. And I've been in my pj's until after lunch myself! I'm in good company.

Nancy Nina said...

Here's to Mike recovering fully for a healthy, happy 2012. I was wondering about the zoo movie...glad I read your blog for the advice. Thanks. And I can't wait to hear more details on the Christmas Eve catastrophe avoided.