Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mayfield Update

Misty had her 1st week ever at Girls' Camp.  Unfortunately, had to come home midweek for a small medical emergency but made it back up eventually.  Love, love Heber Valley Girls Camp!  Yay for showers, clean cabins (with electricity, no less) and great people.



Thx to Alison D for the awesome pic of Mike. :)
A happy 13 yr old left for scout camp this week.  Having earned his Eagle, the pressure to earn merit badges is off somewhat and he can just do the fun stuff that he hasn't done yet.  Kayaking, rock climbing ... he was excited to go. I miss his fun personality around here, though. Love that kid.
Yellow race cars are awesome.  Especially when it's your uncle's car and he lets you drive around with him, knocking on your friends' doors and showing off your awesomeness.   At one friend's house, the little brother said, "Dude! I want that car!" His wiser big brother said, "Dude, I want your uncle."

Fun to surprise my girls with an unplanned visit from cousin Sydney! She knocked on the door and they all started screaming and hugging. She's here for 10 days before her parents come. We loved having her around the corner for so long and having her back is the best. She's been a giant help with princess camp, too (see below).

I just finished reading Divergent (again) and its sequel, Insurgent.  Good summer reads.  I always, always have a good book (or e-reader) closeby.
Elle graduated from Waterford preschool and cannot wait for kindergarten.  If anyone asks her about it, she always says, "Yea, and my mom is going to be there all the time, too! She's going to volunteer in my class and do our class parties and go on our field trips!"  She's spent enough time in the other kids' classrooms with me to know how that all works.

Lots of extended Mayfield family togetherness this summer.  We had our annual campout at Grandpa & Grandma's (tents and sleeping bags all over the lawn), cooked s'mores over the fire pit, had an outdoor movie projected onto the house, playdates, a boating trip and sleepovers with various cousins who come in town .... Our kids have loved so much good cousin time.

Definitely getting lots and lots of fruit and veggies out of the back yard.  Fruit trees are heavily laden with fruit (2 pear trees, 2 apple, 2 peach and a giant apricot), and the garden is going strong.  Please, please come help yourselves to the fruit, especially!


Unfortunately, we've spotted a good-sized garter snake in our back yard.  Either our little baby one grew up or we found his mother.  Or father.  Ewww.  I shudder to think of snakes in the back yard.  Sure, they eat any other little critters that might be around but still...  The kids don't want to work in the garden anymore, and I kinda don't blame them.
Princess Camp at our house this week.  20 little 3-6 yr olds every day for a couple of hours.  Good times. :)  Haley & Paige wanted to earn some money and so decided that having a week-long camp at our house would be a fun way to do it.  They have done every ounce of planning it -- printed out & delivered invitations (rolled and tied with ribbons), made a power point presentation for me to explain what they have planned for each day, made a sample of each of the crafts so the princesses would see what they're making, etc.....  So cute.  I'm trying to just let them plan and do it and not take over myself.  I love that they are being so creative. :)
Didn't mind one bit spending the night at The St. Regis in Deer Valley on Mike's firm's dime.  Love work retreats!  We went to a concert on the green while having a gourmet picnic and then spent a lovely evening in an amazing room.  That resort is incredible.  I highly recommend it.  Especially when someone else pays for it. :)
Amy N. (aka, my soul sister and college roommate) was in town and came to visit with her fam.  You know those people that you go years between seeing in person but it isn't in the least bit awkward ...ever?  That would be Amy.  We just pick right back up where we left off.  Love her!  And love her cute kids who hung out with us that night.  Her daughter spied Haley's Hunger Games pin on her shirt and knew that she was in good company.

The best pancake I've possibly ever had.  Had a dr. appointment and decided to stop for breakfast after at a place that I hadn't been to before.  Oh my.  I'm still drooling.
Everyone's doing well and we're excited to still have another month of summer.  Usually school starts early but this year we're extending the fun into September.  And then look out ... real life will be back with a vengeance.

4 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

What a great summer. And I totally want that pancake.

Lauren said...

yeah, where did you stop for that pancake?

Misty said...

The Original Pancake House on 2100 So. 800 Ea. Sooo yummy! ;)

The Lymans said...

Sounds like a great summer! Awesome princess camp!!! My girls loved it.