Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Smarty pants

A couple of months ago, Haley took a math test along with the rest of the 6th grade at her school.  It was an international test, actually, and tested the kids on things they'd never learned to see how they'd figure it out.  Haley took 3rd in her school.  She, of course, never even told me about it.  I received a text later from my friend, Bev, congratulating us on Haley's achievement.  Good thing she did, 'cause I might not have known otherwise.  Haley was likewise surprised, actually.  She knows she's smart but doesn't usually think of math as one of her strong points.  It was good for her to think of herself differently.

As part of their achievement, the top scorers in her school were invited to BYU to an awards ceremony with lots of other uber-smart kids.  I could tell that my very UofU daughter was slightly conflicted about going to BYU to be honored.   That kind of conflict is good for her. :)  I'm a fan of both schools.




They got a bit of free swag from the math department (woohoo) and heard talks about becoming engineers or scientists in the future.  When they showed graphs of how much $$ engineers make, Haley perked up considerably.  Haley's love of $$ will help her take her education seriously.

I'm sure that Haley's favorite part of the night, though, was getting a mini-tour of the BYU campus from her mom, who was having flashbacks of fun college times.  She saw for herself the sidewalk that I drove my car over and was given a ticket by a bike cop.  Good times.  She can't wait, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Oh, congrats to her! That is so exciting!!

I am smiling imagining your mini-tour of campus. You should have heard me the last time I was there. I was almost squealing. "OH, oh, and that's the sidewalk Dad and I would walk to each other's dorms. Oh, oh, and that's where Dad kissed me for the first time... but there used to be a tree there." It was GIDDY. :)

Mom and Kenz said...

So very cool! She'll love BYU. Besides they were voted the #1 school for good looking students so she'll fit right in.