Monday, October 6, 2008
Antelope Island
A couple of weeks ago, I went with Christian's school class on a field trip to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. To be honest, I don't see the appeal .... it smells and it's barren and ugly ... but the kids loved it so I guess that's the important part. We went to the Visitor's Center, hiked to Buffalo Peak to have our lunch (a fairly scary hike, actually) and caught brine shrimp in jars. Good times! :}


This was the scary part of the hike. The picture doesn't show the sheer drop off just behind these hikers. Kids were slipping on loose rocks and the trail was so narrow. Their teacher didn't seem to be nervous but I was slightly neurotic.
Catching brine shrimp.... This is before half of them wandered into the nasty water to catch as many as they could.
It looks like that's just sand in front of Christian and his friend but when he stepped onto the "sand" Christian sank to his knee in black, gooey mud. The kids started throwing rocks that would sink straight down. We were a smelly bunch on the way back in the bus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've never been there and have always wanted to. You may have saved me a trip. Where are the BUFFALO? I pictured huge herds of buffalo roaming wild.
Post a Comment