I love movies. My mom instilled in us her love for movies early on. She denies it now but I specifically remember times when she would check me out of school to go see a movie. She still sees multiple movies each week -- sometimes 3 in a day, but I won't 'out' her as to how she does that. Creative ticketing on her part, that's all I'll say.
I see my fair share of movies, too. They are definitely an escape for me. If I'm feeling a little stressed or down, a couple of hours seeing a good movie cures all my ails. While I enjoy seeing all types of movies (drama, romantic comedy, action, foreign, even kids'), I'm kind of a movie snob about the quality of the show. Sitting through a bad show leaves me in a worse state than if I hadn't gone. I have no patience for poor writing in a script, and I've frustrated a few girlfriends by picking a movie apart at the end when they fairly enjoyed it. (Remember Leap Year or 4 Christmases, anyone? Puhlease.)
My sister, Kelly, and I saw Rabbit Hole late last night. We figured it was Monday - family night - so we saw it together since we're family. I can justify late night movies all day long. Anyway ... we were alone in the theater until six 20-something yr old guys walked in together and sat a few rows in front of us. Kelly and I looked at each other with puzzled looks. Why? Because Rabbit Hole is about a grieving couple whose 4 yr old son was killed and how their lives fall apart and then how they try to put it all back together. It's a painful, beautiful show. (Nicole Kidman deserves the nomination but the fact that Aaron Eckhart was overlooked is sad - he was more amazing than her, in my humble opinion.) Why would those 6 young guys choose that movie? Even more amazing was that once the movie was over and the credits started running, they all just sat there, not talking or whispering with each other, just watching the credits in silence. Go figure. It's a mystery to me, but kudos to them for braving a heavy, emotional show. Their mommas should be proud.
5 comments:
As your blog story unrolled, I just knew the young men were going to misbehave and that you and Kelly would be brave enough to really tell them off. Darn - boring by comparison MOM
I think it's cool your mom likes movies so much, and that you do, too. I'm always behind when it comes to movies, so I'm not surprised I haven't heard of Rabbit Hole, but -wow- what a movie! I, too, am impressed with those guys!! That's something!
Okay, when's our next movie date? I am hungry for Misty, and a movie, and a popcorn. Come on. Let's go.
Leap Year: yes I remember. I had very low expectations going in, so at least I was disappointed:)
Aha! I've got it ... the 6 guys are college students taking Film Studies or something. The movie was an assignment. I'm sure of it!
Post a Comment