Haley is definitely her own person. She doesn't usually care what other people think of her and will fight tooth & nail for something she believes in, which comes out in various ways.
* She had a detailed conversation with daddy once about interest and how you can either pay it or earn it. Since then, whenever we have to borrow money from her (which is fairly regularly since she always has cash around), she charges us interest. Cracks me up.
The whole money thing is such a big issue for her. She saves and saves every penny she earns and so rarely spends any of it. She's up to almost $200 right now. If she ever sees something in a store and says, "Oh, mom, this is so cool!" I'll say, "You have plenty of money. Go ahead and get it." And then she'll stop, look at the thing and almost always put it back on the shelf. She'll look at me and say, "Nah, I don't really need it." I tease her about being so tight-fisted with her money but I'm also quick to praise her for it. When I ask her what she's saving her money for, she always answers, "Yale."
* Haley takes great interest in Mike's profession and often asks details about cases he's working on. The other day, Elle complained that Paige had eaten some candy that she had gotten at a birthday party. Haley later presented Paige with this demand letter. We've got a little lawyer on our hands. I mean, seriously!
* A couple of weeks ago, we went to Provo to hear my sister play with her band at the Freedom Festival. Understand that Haley is a fiercely loyal Utah fan and will make gagging noises when we even drive by Provo on the freeway. She knows that Mike & I both attended the Y (before both graduating from the U) and have great memories of our time there, but her loyalty to Utah always rules out. Anyway, after the show (which was amazing by the way, Erin -- I was so proud!) we stumbled across a face-painting booth. Any doubt what Haley would choose, right smack in the middle of Cougar country?
10 comments:
I absolutely love this girl. She and her cousin, Julia, are so amazingly smart and independent. Wow. Seriously, wow! You rock, Haley! Please don't ever sue me.
I want to hear the rest of the story. How did it go at the Mayfield Court and did sweet little Miss Elle (4 yrs. old, no less) pay the $2? A concerned g'ma
You misunderstood, mom. Paige is the one who owes Elle the $2. ("I want my 2 dollars!" Name that movie...)
better off dead!
love your family!! this is the best story.
Love it!!! This girl is gonna go far!! That was such a fun post to read. :)
Did our budding lawyer figure in one-third of the judgment for herself? Been there, done that......
I mistyped because I knew that Paige was the villain over darling little 4 yr. old, trusting Elle.
H is a riot. Love the letter and the U!! We need to set her up to marry either Stephen or Jake. Hope trek is wonderful for you!
Seriously mom? Gagging? That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? I'm not that stubborn!:)
That last comment was from my Haley. :)
Haley and I are going to have some good conversations when we get back. I just may have to put her on a retainer for me. Love, Grandma
Post a Comment