Thursday, May 23, 2013

Opera

I've mentioned before my love for the Spectrum program's 3rd grade opera.  This year, it was Paige's turn.  I begged and pleaded with her amazing teacher, Miss Merrill, to let me play the piano again and she thankfully agreed.  What that means for me is being with the kids every step of the way as they learn the songs, choose their parts, work on choreography, paint the scenery, practice and practice and practice.  I have so much fun seeing the whole process come together.  These kids wrote every word, came up with every note, decided every costume, and choreographed their own moves.  It's amazing watching Miss Merrill guide and encourage them, but all the while giving them creative control.  Very cool!

This year's opera was called "Trouble in the Clouds" and had everything from dragons and fairies to scientists, wizards and spies.  There was a plane crash into a volcano and a magical brew that included "cockroach pies, snake eyes, rats' tails, ogre boogers and turtle poo." See what I mean about it being truly theirs?

Painting their scenery ...






Paige chose to be a scientist ... the only girl in that group.

Crazy hair just goes with being a scientist, wouldn't you say?

Striking a wizardly pose ...


Adorable fairies!

The spies' big line was, "If you need anything in return, just call 1-800-Spies-R-Us."


The fake mustaches were a hit with every group.


Sure love their cute teacher!  And sure love these crazy, fun, talented kids. :)

No comments: