Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Random stuff

See, I knew this blog would control my life in some ways. I should be asleep right now, since I don't seem to get enough as it is, but here I sit blogging instead. There are just too many things bouncing around my head.


Paige and I had "mommy time" tonight, which for her meant that she put clippies in my hair and I painted her nails. I love that she's so girlie. That extra 20 minutes of alone time with mommy made her night, and mine too. Don't you envy my hair? Paige has been using some of the "fancy" words that she's learned from the Fancy Nancy books (her absolute favorite). Yesterday she said, "Mom, I yearn to play Barbies." The other day she told Mike that he looked "dapper." I love her little attitude. She aspires to be just like Sharpay from High School Musical "only nicer."

Father's Day was fun because the kids and I totally surprised Mike. We got him a new bbq, which turned out to be a bigger challenge than I thought it would be. Just choosing a new bbq from the sea of bbq's at the store wasn't as easy as you'd think but then getting the giant thing home wasn't something I'd thought through as well as I should've. Luckily, my neighbor happened to be there with his 4 kids and his minivan. Once the seats were taken out, my bbq went in and I carted all of the kids home. Thank heaven for good, helpful neighbors! I owe him cookies. The next morning, the kids and I sent Mike on a scavenger hunt to find his new gift and he was totally surprised. A little deviousness is good for a marriage. :)

We spent Monday night with the Preslars, which is always a good time. The dads are lifelong friends, we moms were instant friends when we first met, our kids get along so well... We got the yummiest food from a great little neighborhood market and ate at a nearby park. The kids played, the 38 yr. old boys played football, the weather was perfect .... great summer night.

And lastly, I love having great neighbors and a fun street with lots of kids. We all seem to congregate outside in the early evening on the lawn and the kids ride bikes and play ... We're going to continue last year's tradition of potluck spur-of-the-moment bbq's in our driveway, which we did multiple times. We lined up a couple of grills on our driveway, everyone brought whatever they had on-hand and somehow we managed to pull dinner together for 3+ families. We have a more organized street bbq every year, too, which is so great. Good friends, great times.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Good stuff, those summer night hang outs on the lawn. I wish we lived closer so that we could hang out on each others' lawns.

Rob & Megg said...

Fun times! Rob and I might just happen to be on a walk for one of those neighborhood BBQ'S.

Katie said...

Great post. I want to live in a neighborhood like yours!