Thursday, October 16, 2008

What I know

Inspired by a friend's blog entry (and I'm copying some of hers since they were so true!), let me tell you some of the things I know about motherhood:

* The house will never stay totally clean for any extended amount of time. Stop trying to make it so.
* Alone time is a good thing for kids and moms.
* Having kids changes your body ... F-O-R-E-V-E-R
* I should own stock in Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser.
* Kids will repeat things you say - to friends, neighbors, teachers .. anyone.
* My kids' necks smell yummy.
* Children suddenly decide they need something, start fighting or crying as soon as you start talking on the phone.
* The laundry will never be finished. It's always a work in progress.
* There is enough time at stoplights to read a few paragraphs of a good book. Always keep one in the car.
* As much as I'd like them to be, my kids are not self-motivated cleaner-uppers.
* My attitude can largely affect the mood of others in the house.
* Spending some time on myself helps me be a better mom and wife.
* There is no one sure-fire parenting method for every child -- they each require different things.
* Peace and quiet is only a good thing if your 1-2 yr. old is asleep.
* Whomever invented playdough, silly putty, and fingerpaints either didn't have any kids or they have a grudge against mothers.
* My kids will come running when I mention cookie dough.
* Middle of the night newborn feedings aren't as bad as I expected them to be .... the one-on-one time with the baby is priceless.
* I feel like I am guessing a lot of the time as a mother: Am I handling this situation right? Have I taught them enough of that? Was that the right thing to say?
* Band aids and kisses can cure most anything.

1 comment:

5ofus said...

That was so true & if I could remember these things everyday I would feel so much better. Motherhhod is tough. I wonder how mothers do it with more than 3 because 3 is my limit.
Leah