I consider myself a fairly organized, on-top-of-things type of person. But something happened when I had my 4th child. I have started forgetting things, mostly appointments like doctor's visits, dental check-ups, visiting teaching appointments, kids' lessons, etc. I bought a Blackberry, thinking that the calendar function would help me remember my schedule better but it only served to deepen my addiction to e-mail, Facebook and blogging.
My latest faux-pas was missing my dental check-up last Friday morning. Nevermind that the office called to remind me the day before and even sent me a text as an additional reminder. The appointment was for 7:30am so I had arranged for Mike to be home in the morning so I could go. It was on my mind the entire day before.
But something happened the night before. I went to a late movie with my sister and a friend (no - that was NOT the problem!) and then forgot to set the alarm for the next morning. So in spite of all those reminders, I totally forgot my dental appointment. Didn't even remember that I had forgotten it until the office called at 8am to help me reschedule. What is my deal? What is wrong with my head? I am not that person -- the one who is constantly forgetting important things! Except, apparently now I am.
We rescheduled and I had my check-up this morning. I actually remembered to go this time and took a large plate of freshly baked cookies as a peace offering. By the time I left, the office staff was encouraging me to miss my next appointment so I'd feel obligated to bring cookies again.
They've apparently forgiven me but I can't forgive myself. I pride myself on being dependable and responsible -- I cannot/will not become that person. But until I get my head back together, please forgive me if I forget something that somehow affects you.
One thing's for sure ... no more kids for me. They've apparently stolen all of my extra brain cells. And heaven knows that I can't afford to lose any more at this point.
5 comments:
Feel free to cut yourself some slack. You've got a lot on your plate. I don't know how I will balance my time with one child--let alone four. :)
And, way to make cookies for the office staff. Everyone appreciates "thanks" and not everyone remembers to give it.
My two cents (for whatever that is worth) is that you really are not in error here. :)
I love the fact that you used sweets to bribe the dentist's staff. The irony.
I AM THAT PERSON. Pretty much always have been. I'm okay with it. I like to just let people know right off the bat so they don't have unrealistic expectations of me.
You HAD extra braincells to begin with? I was already running short and now I'm a complete disaster!
I know what you mean! I have been known to do the same thing and I HATE it. It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine--irresponsible people. So I can't BE one! I can't be THAT person. I know exactly what you mean! But I'm thinking that it happens to everyone, so we ought to cut ourselves a little slack. :)
Post a Comment