Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Elle

One of my biggest fears as a parent is that something will happen to one of my kids that I won't be able to control or stop. Losing Christian at Sea World when he was 3 for about 10 minutes was a terrifying experience. Haley spent 3 days at Primary Children's Hospital when she was one for a scary bout with RSV. Watching Paige fall off our deck to the cement patio 8 ft. below was horrifying. I guess it was just Elle's turn for some of that attention.

The kids and I met my sister and 4 other cousins at the pool to swim. We'd been there about an hour and were having a great time. I took Elle over to the very shallow water and sat her down with me to play. After a couple of minutes of just sitting and watching people, I realized that she was very still ... not moving. I said her name a couple of times but she didn't move, didn't turn, didn't respond at all. I picked her up and could see that something was definitely wrong. Her eyes wandered to the side and couldn't focus on me at all. She didn't talk, didn't cry, didn't twitch ... nothing. I ran to a life guard and asked him to check her out. The panicked kid said, "We don't know how to do that!" Ran to my sister, who confirmed that something was definitely wrong so I grabbed my wallet and keys and started for the hospital a block away.

By the time I reached the pool's front desk, she was starting to shake so I laid her on the counter and told them to call 911. I was definitely freaking out by this point. She still wasn't talking, wasn't crying, wasn't responding to anyone in any way. The EMTs stabilized her and we headed to the ER in the ambulance. At that point, Elle started to react in some strange ways. She kept trying to put things in her mouth .... the oxygen cord, the towel, the little thing they put on her finger to read her puls/ox levels. She started singing like a drunk person -- no words but a slurred rendition of Twinkle Twinkle. Weird behavior. I looked at her and thought, "Is this permanent? Does she have brain damage now?" These pictures kind of show how she was acting.

The doctor said she'd had a febrile seizure, a seizure brought on by a fever which is not uncommon in young kids. I hadn't noticed she even had a fever while we were at the pool but that plus the sun probably brought on the seizure. He said she would continue to act slow for a few more hours, which was the scariest part of the whole thing. To see her react so slowly and delayed was unnerving, to say the least.They ran a bunch of tests -- a cat-scan, chest x-ray, bloodwork, urinalysis, nasal swab ... Poor kid was poked and prodded a whole lot.A visit from the kids helped. Christian got the first smile out of her which definitely made Mike and me feel better.After a few hours, she was returning to more normal behavior ... talking some, smiling, eating a little.As we eventually drove away from the hospital, she slowly said, "Bye doctors. See ya later ... alligators."I'm so grateful for grandparents who rushed to our aid, for my sister and nieces who helped keep our other kids calm, for a good friend who showed up at the ER to let me cry on his shoulder and then brought us dinner that night .... How would we get through life without family and friends? It was moving to watch Mike and Dave give Elle a blessing, assuring all of us that she'd be o.k. And I'm especially happy to have my bouncy, bubbly, sparkly little Elle back. She's running around like normal this morning and for that I'm incredibly grateful.

12 comments:

Judy said...

We are so grateful that everything turned out well for Elle and the rest of the family. The only thing as hard as going through a parent challenge likes this, is watching your children experiecne these things with their children. We love you all, Mom and Dad Mayfield

alison said...

Misty! How scary! I know several people who have had those. Thank goodness it's nothing permanent. I don't think anything is harder than seeing your baby go through something like that. Hugs to you.

Julie said...

Oh man. Good thing you noticed so quickly & reacted so proactively. You're right, there is nothing worse then something wrong/scary/unknown with one of your kids. Thank goodness you had Kelly & nieces to allow you to focus all of your attention on precious Elle! Luv ya & your cute kiddos.

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here listening to Elle laugh...the sweetest sound I know.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Crying. I am CRYING right now. I am so glad she is okay. But how SCARY!!! It is the worst when your in a situation like that and feel helpless. :( I am grateful she is good.

And now I just read Mike's comment and am crying again. So sweet.

Carl said...

We're glad Elle is okay. We sure love you guys! The Wrights

SLCphoto1 said...

I'm glad she's ok. I know what that worry as a parent is like.

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Oh, Misty!! I'm glad everything is okay. That must have been terrifying. Glad it got resolved (somewhat) quickly. Yikes.

I was just catching up on your blog since I haven't read ANY blogs for weeks (moving, house hunting, etc.). You have had a fun month. Glad you got to go to the Oquirrh Mtn. temple open house. VERY cool! And all the water and painted toes. :) Did you LOVE Harry Potter 6?? I ABSOLUTELY loved it! I cried twice. Read the book, knew what was coming, still cried twice. LOVED it. So good. Can't wait 'til the next one!! :)

katie thompson said...

wow. that is so scary. im so sorry, i cant even imagine.
im glad that she is back to her cute self. what would we do without friends and family?

Nancy Nina said...

What a nightmare! I feel emotionally drained just reading about it. I love that last picture of her - sweet, happy and feeling much better!

Rachel said...

I'm mostly just glad that this day is over for you. And I can't believe you had the presence of mind to take all those pictures. Glad you have the record of it!

Amy and Brad said...

This post freaked me out so badly - I could hardly look at the pictures, Mist! How totally terrifying for you guys! And it sounds like this was the Friday after I saw you?

We have empathy - so scary to have your child in the hospital and to have to wonder what is going on! What a huge relief to know that she is well and back to normal! An answer to prayer, for sure.

We love you guys - give little Elle a hug for us. And give yourselves one while you're at it!