Saturday, March 6, 2010

5th grade field trip

The 5th graders went on a double field trip this week. They all dressed up and we headed to the symphony. It was pretty fun to hear the ooh's and aah's out of some of the kids who hadn't been to Abravanel Hall before.Also very fun was when Christian saw his friends from his old school. We were one balcony above them and so they were shouting hello's and waving to each other (all pre-show, of course). :)

After the symphony, we ran (I hobbled) to the bus and ate our lunch .... on the way to the Children's Museum. One of their employees, an 18'ish yr old funny guy, met us and proceeded to go over the rules. "Behave yourselves" -- that sort of thing. The following is an account of what happens when you turn sixty 5th graders loose in the younger section of the Children's Museum.Notice the flying building blocks. The kids went from "construction mode" to "destruction mode" in no time flat.Playing Wheel Barrow Chicken. Good times.See the kid in the back? That bale of fake hay was airborn shortly after this picture was taken.Christian and Ben were hanging out in the General Store when ........ the 18yr old museum employee started a fake food fight. No joke.He started hucking fake asparagus and bananas at kids before they even knew what hit them. Kids started picking up fake cans of beans and peanut butter and chucking them right back at their "leader."We parents just looked at each other and said, "HE started it." It was awesome! The employee would stop them occasionally and say, "OK, ok, ok ... wait, wait ... we really shouldn't be doing ... THIS!" And then he'd throw more food and the fake food fight would continue. By the end, the little grocery store looked like this...Luckily, all of the little kids had cleared out long before. (I would have, too, if I'd been there with my little girls.) The employee helped the kids clean up every last bit of food and everyone had a smile on their faces. Priceless.

3 comments:

Nicalee said...

I wish I could have been there throwing food too...what a BLAST. Thanks for your encouragement on my recent post Misty. I trust your judgement and your counsel is so true. Sometimes it's just hard to see the forest through the trees...someday I'll get it. Love ya!

Michelle said...

It was fun to see you guys last night too! I told Mike I'd e-mail a photo of you two from our wedding reception, but realized that I don't have your address. I put it (and photos of Jim, Troy, Rex, Marianne, Mike and Chris) on my last post, so you'll have to show Mike.

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

LOVE all the pictures!! Looks like such an awesome fieldtrip!! Like every kid's dream come true. :)