Mike: Ah yes...Scout Camp. Even though it's been over twenty-five years, I remember it like it was yesterday. The long summer days spent in God's country, exploring the wilderness, becoming one with Mother Nature, cooling off in the crisp waters of a mountain lake, warming up in the golden rays of the sun, cooking hearty meals over a campfire, sleeping out under the stars....
Life doesn't get any better than that, right Christian?
Christian: Dad....of all the fairytales you've told me over the years, your romanticized view of Scout Camp has to be right up there with the Toothfairy and Santa Clause.
Mike: What are you talking about? I was there with you at 4:45 in the morning when you gathered with your troop to head off to camp. You guys were so excited!
Christian: My point exactly. Have you ever smelled the breath of seven 12-year-olds at 4:45 a.m? The words "bear's bottom" come to mind. It was not pretty, Dad.
Mike: O.K., I can see how that would be a little gross. But I'm sure once you got to camp everthing was great. You had to love escaping the hot city weather for the temperate mountain air.
Christian: "Temperate?" I don't even know what that word means. But, if by "temperate" you mean "marble-sized hail and hurricane strength winds" then yeah, I guess I did enjoy the "temperate" mountain weather. Check out this picture from our first day at camp.
Mike: Oh come on! It wasn't that cold.
Christian: I still can't feel my toes and I've been home for over a month.
Mike: But, what about the warm mountain lake?
Christian: Does this look warm to you? It was less than 50 degrees in the lake before the hailstorm.
Christian: This is me jumping in the lake after the hail had mostly melted from the dock. There must have been 60 pounds of ice in there. I've never swam so fast in my life. Christian: But I do have to admit, I loved kayacking. It was way fun. How come we haven't done that before, Dad?
Mike: Well...its not like there are any lakes near our home.
Christian: Good point, Dad. Where could you possibly find a lake near Salt Lake City?
Christian: You don't want to know. It's a guy thing.
Mike: Well then...what about your campsite. I'm sure that was awesome.
Christian: We did have a pretty cool camp. Here is where we ate our meals.....while it rained....and hailed....and sleeted.

Mike: O.K., right. But you did like the flag ceremonies and camp skits, right?
Christian: Yeah. Those were cool. Every night the whole camp got together for a flag ceremony. I liked how our troop had to come up with a troop chant.


Mike: And most importantly, going to camp gave you the chance to really apply the Scout Oath into your life.
Christian: That's right. For example, this is me throwing a rock at Ammon..."a scout is friendly."
...and yes, we even slept under the stars.
Mike: Like I said....life doesn't get any better than that, right Christian?Christian: Yup. I can't wait to go back next year. :)
4 comments:
Awesome, you two! Loved it.
I used to be a counselor at Bear Lake Aquatic Base and loved it! The skits were always fun.
Love this report. How fun to spend that time together. Love, Mom
That was hilarious. I love "a scout is clean." Oh my gosh. I see scout shirts like that CONSTANTLY. I can't believe the hail!!! WOW!! And "sleep is a crutch".... hysterical. Love it.
Post a Comment