Sunday, September 19, 2010

Whatchya doin'?

* Surprised the kids recently and took them to see the travelling Broadway's production of Lion King. I've had the tickets for almost a year. Seriously. And I was giddy to see it with the fam. I did worry, however, that Christian would take one look at the Lion King poster and think, "Seriously, mom? A Disney show?" I knew he'd probably keep his thoughts to himself, which he thankfully did, but he did indeed think that the show would be beneath his cool 11 yr old self. After the opening scene, however, when all of the amazing animal costumes entered the theater - including the ginormous elephant which took 4 people to man - Christian turned to me and said, "That was the coolest thing I have ever seen!" Mission accomplished.

* I've been playing tennis a couple of days a week with my girlfriend, Steph. I used to be fairly decent on the court, back in my college days. But it's been a lot of years since I've regularly played. Steph has been very patient with me and I'm happy to say that I'm slowly regaining some of my mad skills. Steph scores points with talent, however, while I usually score points by chance.

* I'm a huge fan of caprese anything .... salads, pizzas, paninis, whatever. The combination of fresh basil, slices of fresh mozzarella, garden tomatoes and balsamic vinegar ... I mean, hello. Plates & Palates (one of my favorite little lunch places) has a caprese panini that I die for. So the other night as I was perusing the fridge for something to make for dinner, I saw all of the caprese ingredients and thought, "We are SO having caprese paninis for dinner!" I googled 'basil pesto,' whipped up a batch to spread on the bread, added the fresh ingredients and voila. Oooey, gooey yumminess. We had them almost every night last week.

* Mike's firm has a yearly retreat at various resorts up the canyons. I absolutely love it since it means a free little getaway for us every fall. This year, it was at the St. Regis at Deer Valley. And wow. It's stunning. Our favorite part of our accomodations was the tv within the mirror in the bathroom. It looked like a normal mirror when the tv was off but then the screen would show up in the corner so you could watch the news while getting ready in the morning, or whatever. Pretty cool. Yay for free hotel stays. :)

* Serving in Primary in our ward, I helped out with our Primary program this past Sunday. Thankfully, I wasn't the one assigned to write the program or have the major responsibility to pull it off. I just helped out where needed, which meant that I sat with the 3 yr olds and tried to keep some order during the program. I'm not sure why 3 yr old girls like to pull their dresses up but I saw more little girl panties during that hour than I'm sure was normal. And only a couple of kids in tears -- relative success.

* The fall tv season has started and I'm happy. Glee, Modern Family, Vampire Diaries (don't mock me), and a few new shows that I'm going to try. Love my DVR.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post...sounds like you all are having a good time. :)

Misty said...

You all? You were with me for most of this.... Wha?

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

This is a cool catch-up! Or glimpse into "whatcha doing?" I have heard the Lion King is phenomenal--so glad you got to see it. And I'm glad Christian was impressed, too. Sweet. I'm so impressed you made your OWN caprese paninis!! (They sound heavenly. Is pesto the greatest thing ever invented or what?) The TV in the mirror kills me. I would love to have seen that!! :) I'm in YW and the youth did a sacrament meeting program last fall and it was my job to just sit up on the stand with them all. I was surprised at how much it (the talking/whispering/writing notes) reminded me of being in Primary!! Just no underwear.

Erin Blake said...

Dude, what's up with you and vampires?