Monday, October 4, 2010

A cultural experience

I can't count how many ethnic festivals my mom took us kids to while we were growing up. She loved to introduce us to new cultures, new foods, new customs. I remember bits & pieces about the many different festivals but the Greek Festival kind of sticks out as being the most memorable.

So a few weeks ago, Mike & I decided to repeat the tradition and take our kids to the Greek Festival. I told them beforehand, "I want you to have an open mind and just try a few things." You can't really go wrong with a gyro, right?
Elle enjoyed the whole experience and tried just about everything.
Christian thought he was being brave by only eating meatballs and rolls. That's pretty typical for him, though.
Haley could not be tempted, or bribed, to try the mini squid. Yeah, I guess that was pushing it, even for her.
All of the kids were happy to try the desserts, especially baklava which was gone in a heartbeat. And aside from the long lines, they all decided it was worth the experience.

Think they're ready for sushi yet?

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

What a fun thing to do! I don't even know of any festivals around here. I LOOOOVE Greek food, though, so I was kind of drooling here.