I decided to go off of Facebook. (Gasp!) I have been such a Facebook addict, too. I was amazed at everyone I could find -- people from my mission (from all over the world), high school friends, past roommates, former neighbors, cousins who I haven't been in touch with for years, more contact with extended family and friends. I've definitely enjoyed aspects of being on Facebook and I'll miss some of that.
But along with the good comes the weird. Weird to be back in touch with high school people who were only casual acquaintances when we were in school together. Weird to be 'friends' with certain ex-boyfriends and to receive multiple comments from them. Weird to get comments from people who I know don't care for me all that much and yet they still check to see what I'm up to on Facebook. Weird to get friend requests from people that I never actually talk to. I didn't want to ignore most requests because I didn't want to offend anyone, and then I wasn't sure how to 'de-friend' people later without offending further still.
Over the past month, I've been feeling like I wanted to just disconnect from it all. I need a break from having my life be such an open book. I'm guilty of making it that way, I realize, but now I just need some separation.
Finally, a few days ago I posted, "Disconnecting for awhile. Later, people." And then I deactivated my account. One problem, I've since discovered, is that all of my previous posts are now gone, too. So if someone didn't happen to read my little farewell statement, they'll probably think I de-friended them. One guy from high school thinks that I was offended by an article he posted and so I de-friended him, when it was just a timing coincidence. Not sure how to handle that, now. But it kind of cements my decision in my mind. Weird social situations become normal on Facebook, and like I said - I just need some separation.
So, dear friends, please keep in touch with me by other means. Be my friend without Facebook. Call me. Let's go to lunch.
7 comments:
Yay! Welcome to the non-Facebookers (sometimes I feel like an Anti Nephite Lehite or something)! It's a small group but we openly welcome you :)
Amen Sistah. You'll love it. I do.
i was just about to go write on your wall. this isn't fair. i love hearing about what elle just said to you.
well i love you misty. get down here FAST. i'm dying without you.
Hey, I totally hear you on this. I am not really a Facebook addict, but it seems like with the good & the cool & the fun comes the weird & the creepy & the not-worth-my-time. I can TOTALLY be your friend without Facebook. In fact, I much prefer blogs. But please don't go blog-free bcs I would miss you too much.
Awesome, good for you! :)
Wow - that might be a really good idea...I'll have to think about it. Proud of you.
Now how am I ever going to communicate with you? I fear for our union. :)
Post a Comment