Saturday, February 19, 2011

Valentine's Etiquette

For Valentine's Day, the 6th grade usually has a dance. But our school has had an etiquette lunch for the past couple of years, which I think is an even better idea. I'm not sure which one the kids would have preferred, since the etiquette lunch still involves having to touch each other. I know they may not mind that so much someday soon but most of them were rolling their eyes and embarrassed as they had to walk arm-in-arm down the hall toward their luncheon.
Much to their happiness, the tables were separated into boys & girls instead of boy/girl. They had several courses, all with multiple sets of silverware so they'd be able to practice which fork to use. An ettiquette coach was there, walking them through each step of the lunch. Wish I'd had such training at their age since I was clueless on my first date to a very fancy restaurant.
Elle & I also helped in Paige's classroom party, where we had a huge crockpot full of melted chocolate and let the kids dip pretzels & marshmallows to their hearts' content. We took the leftovers home and had more chocolate-dipping for dessert.
Elle's favorite part of the day? Stepping into a balloon wonderland at the Dollar Store. Her mouth dropped open in shock when she saw this....
So, of course we had to bring some balloons home for us, too.

2 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

What a cool day!!!! I love the etiquette dinner idea (although I agree with it still being too young for them because they have to touch each other on the walk down the hall--Preston might do better now that he's in 8th grade, but in 6th grade he would have preferred shooting himself). I love the crock pot and chocolate dipping idea for school! How fantastic!!! And the balloons... sweet! :)

Tammy said...

Enjoy these days at the elementary school. My youngest is in 6th grade and everything is the last of's' for us. Jr. High doesn't do these fun things anymore. You're an awesome mom, these are memories they will cherish forever that there mom was always at the parties. I will miss it much more than they do I'm sure.