Thursday, May 3, 2012

Super Sistahs!!

Ever been to BYU's Women's Conference? I've been 3 times now -- once just to attend classes and the other two times as a contributor. As part of the conference, there is a room full of booths planned and put up by local women. Each booth has info about a different topic: food storage, adoption, motherhood, temple worship, dealing with loss, finding humor in life, reading .... you name it. I'd never heard of these "sharing stations" until I was asked to do a booth a few years ago with my friend, Julie. We sweated it out, chose a topic, planned, planned and planned some more. It was a good experience overall but a lot of work, too. I thought my Sharing Station days were over.

But then I moved into a new ward, which meant new ladies who were also involved in Women's Conference who then asked me to do another booth. I was so tempted to politely say, "No thank you. I've already done that." But when my cute friend, Arlene, was the one who called to ask if I'd help, I couldn't turn her down. She's fantastic! And all of the other women doing booths from our area were fantastic. So I said yes. Again.  Thank heavens for another great friend, Krista, who was bribed took pity and agreed to help me. Krista & I chose the topic, "Super Sisters! How to be a better sister to all." We broke it down into the areas of family, church family and community -- how we as women can lift and help each other in each of those areas. I remembered from my first go-round at Women's Conference that there were some very fun, whimsical booths so Krista & I decided to go that direction. We wore sparkly super capes and Krista drew fun art of a flying "Super Sister" helping in different ways, my favorite being where she is bringing a Diet Coke cold drink to a friend. :) We handed out chocolate kisses and gumballs and had glitter spray that we sprayed on willing ladies. We knew that we'd made an impression when a woman came to us and said, "I heard about you two up in the Marriott Center (a building on the other side of campus). Purple capes and glitter spray." Good times. We all need a little whimsy in life, right? :)   At least we had fun doing it.

Here's the booth (check out Krista's artwork):
Some of my other friends who were involved ....
Alison (above) and Heidi (below) -- 2 super sisters indeed! - had a booth on how to organize your home & your life.
Cathy had a booth on internet safety for kids.
The lovely Leishman ladies :).  They had a booth on helping your kids find their own passions & talents.
Camille & Rhonda had a booth on how to inspire your teens to read. They had a big sign that said, "BKS R JST LNG TXTS". Got it? That's text-speak for 'Books are just long texts.' Clever girls.
Some of the many, many women who come through to see the booths.
I'm thinking my sharing station days are done. Now, I'll just go see them as a by-stander.

3 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I've only been to Womens Conference once, and I had NO idea that you had done this before!!! I'm just sitting here wishing you'd done it the year I went and I'd run into you. :) That booth is AWESOME! What a fun idea. I LOVE it!

thederricks said...

Looks like a huge success! I have gotten to know your neighbor Alison. Her twins Kate and Claire have been in the same preschool as Ella this year. Cute family!

alison said...

Next year you can be in charge of the whole thing! It was so much fun! I'm for sure going next year to hear the speakers!