A few weeks ago, my little brother Thomas got married. :) He and Katie have been together for a long time and have a beautiful daughter named Leokadia (after her great-grandma). They live in Philadelphia so we don't get to see them very often, which meant that my sisters and I all jumped at the chance to go be there for their wedding.
Kelly, Mike & I took a red-eye there so we could have an extra day to see Philly. Fun to travel with Kelly but red-eyes are torture! Why we decided that was a good idea escapes me now. Here we are at 3am in the Charlotte NC airport. We're smiling but we're sort of delirious.
We took quick power naps and then met up with Erin & Brett. All of us staying in the same hotel was pretty sweet. :) We hung out in Blakes' room for a little bit ....
(No, it's not weird to climb in bed with your sisters.) .... and then we went to downtown Philly to see historical sites. It's funny how my context of most things is from the movies. I instantly recognized Independence Hall from - what else? - National Treasure.
Nicolas Cage ran up these blue stairs to see the Liberty Bell....
Which, of course, had been moved! They had to race off of the roof (they really did shoot the movie in and on that building, by the way) and then ran to the real location of the Bell, which is actually across the street in a visitor's center.
Pretty cool. Mike took a picture of Brett & Erin in front of the Bell, only to realize that Kelly photo-bombed the picture! Cracks me up still.
This is the room where the Declaration of Independence was signed. We had a fantastic tour of several buildings by a history professor. Made me wish I remembered and knew more of our history.
Loved hanging out with my honey. I adore our kids but time alone with hubby is fantastic.
That night, Mike & I went and met up with Thomas & Katie for a rehearsal dinner. I haven't seen Tom or my brother, David, since my dad's funeral so it was fun to see them again under better circumstances.
David, all the way from his new homeland of Scotland.
The happy family, with a toddler who wouldn't sit still for pictures. :)
My goal for this trip was to win Leokadia over, since she really doesn't know me at all. I bribed her with toddler games on my phone and then ice cream at the dinner. She never quite remembered my name but she would sit by me and ask for my phone. I'm not above shameless bribery to get my adorable niece to come be with me. :)
I mean, look at this child!
Trying on her wedding attire....
The wedding wasn't until the following evening so we had another day to explore Philadelphia. This time, we met up with mom & David.
We went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and explored around a bit ....
Catching some rays in the cold city.
... before we did the Rocky thing and ran up the steps.
We explored more of the city -- wish we had had more time there. What a very cool place.
There were huge game pieces all over this downtown plaza. Monopoly, anyone?
The wedding that evening was held at a children's museum in an amazing, historic building.


Riding with Nana after the ceremony....
First dance as husband and wife ....
... and as a family. Made all of us cry.
The rest of the night was just plain fun. Lots of my aunts, uncles and cousins from my stepmom's side were there, most of whom I haven't seen in years. Those Trujillos know how to have a good time! Even my 90 year old Nana was dancing with everyone at midnight.
Only some of the Trujillo/Farley family ....
Such a fun trip! Congrats Thomas, Katie and Leokadia. :)









































3 comments:
What a fun trip. From the Liberty Bell to Rocky to a great family wedding -- an all American experience.
I LOVE Philly. You saw some of my favorite places there!!! I did NOT, however, go to wherever the giant Monopoly pieces are. That was hilarious! What a neat family occasion--very happy for you all!
Looks like fun, I love the relationship you have with your sisters! Love you all sooo much!
Post a Comment