Tuesday, November 6, 2012

14

Sadly, I sometimes let very cool moments pass without capturing them with a picture.  Christian probably prefers it that way when those moments are about him.   He turned 14 last month.... 14.  And I didn't get a single picture.  On the one hand, I miss the toe-headed, tractor-loving, costume wearing kid he was.  But I have so much fun with the tall, stylish, guitar-playing, funny, movie-quoting great guy that he's become.  He's fun to be around and has me laughing constantly.  We're still working on helping him to become a straight A, homework turner-inner kind of guy but he's getting there.

How do you celebrate a 14 year old's birthday when he won't give you any idea about what he'd like or not like to do?  I involved food, which he's always game for:

* I sent donuts with his friends to hand out after early morning jazz band (he didn't object, so that was a plus)
* I showed up at lunch with 3 pizzas and root beer for him and a few friends.  The school doesn't allow people to bring food into the school for birthdays so they all ran out to the car and ate pizza in the parking lot.  We listened to Slash (his idol at the moment) and ate while it snowed outside.
* We went to dinner at his favorite restaurant, The Training Table, with extended family and a friend.  Jeffrey Olson hadn't ever experienced the joy of cheese fries at The Training Table so we were happy to introduce him. :)
* Finally, we gave Christian a gift card to his favorite guitar store so he can upgrade his electric guitar.  He was definitely happy about that.












Love this kid/guy.  Love him!


3 comments:

Erin Blake said...

I love Christian! I feel exactly the same. I so miss that little muppet haired newborn and the little guy, but he is so funny now and fun to be with!
He's a Great One!!!!

Mom and Kenz said...

Love the lego and Star Wars pictures. Just as I remember him.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, Christiano! I also love the kid he is becoming. So fun to see them try to define themselves as they get older. I'm glad we got to share some cheese fries with you guys.