I sat by a woman and her grown daughter as they both had pedicures for the daughter's birthday. My first thought upon seeing the mom was that she looked a lot like Janet Lee, the widow of former BYU president Rex Lee. After awhile, I finally asked her if that's who she was and sure enough ... We had a nice conversation about their time at BYU and I mentioned that I attended the Y while they were. She paused and said, "Then why are you wearing a University of Utah shirt?" "Uhhhh..." Awkward silence... Truth is, I married an avid Utah fan and graduated from the U myself. Plus, Mike and I were headed to the Utah football game as soon as Paige and I finished our pedicures. But any explanation I could give just sounded lame in my head, especially considering Mrs. Lee's loyalty to the Y. So I said, "Umm, I actually really like both schools. I have very fond memories of my time at the Y (true, Mike - sorry!) and I had a good experience finishing my degree at the U. I like them both!" I'm sure I sounded like a babbling idiot. I sure felt like one.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Open mouth, insert pedicured foot
I sat by a woman and her grown daughter as they both had pedicures for the daughter's birthday. My first thought upon seeing the mom was that she looked a lot like Janet Lee, the widow of former BYU president Rex Lee. After awhile, I finally asked her if that's who she was and sure enough ... We had a nice conversation about their time at BYU and I mentioned that I attended the Y while they were. She paused and said, "Then why are you wearing a University of Utah shirt?" "Uhhhh..." Awkward silence... Truth is, I married an avid Utah fan and graduated from the U myself. Plus, Mike and I were headed to the Utah football game as soon as Paige and I finished our pedicures. But any explanation I could give just sounded lame in my head, especially considering Mrs. Lee's loyalty to the Y. So I said, "Umm, I actually really like both schools. I have very fond memories of my time at the Y (true, Mike - sorry!) and I had a good experience finishing my degree at the U. I like them both!" I'm sure I sounded like a babbling idiot. I sure felt like one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your could have answered Sister Lee's question with two simple words: "I repented."
Go Utes!
Traitors...both of you.
Post a Comment