Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The 4th

Our 4th of July was jam packed with parties, bbq's, games, water, sugar, fireworks and great friends. Here are the highlights ....

We started the celebration the night before with a bbq, swimming party and fireworks watching with the Vriens family. We went to their friends' house who have a beautiful, ginormous home overlooking the golf course where a huge fireworks show happened that night. Always fun to crash someone else's party. ;)

The next morning, we went to our neighborhood's annual breakfast and kids' parade. Our kids had their bikes decorated a few days beforehand just so they'd be totally ready. Here's the excited crew with our neighbors before heading to the parade start.Since the parade is only a block long (just the stretch of road leading down to the church), in years past it has become a mad dash/race instead of a leisurely parade. This year, our neighborhood veterans led the parade which slowed things down to a more manageable pace. :)Breakfast this year took a slight turn from the usual. As we started down the buffet line, there were breakfast casseroles, pancakes and then large tubs of ice cream. That's right. Ice cream. And chocolate sauce, crushed candy bars and caramel. I was surprised to see most people actually plopping it right onto their pancakes at 9am. Christian came up to us with a heaping pile on his plate and said, "THIS is why I love America!"After breakfast, Mike started a red light/green light game with the kids.And then he continued the fun at the Dodds' afternoon bbq/water party.The Dodds' definitely know how to throw a party. That evening, Mike and I hosted the "Driveway of Fire" at our house, which we've done for the past few years with our immediate neighbors and a few other friends. We roll the bbq's out onto our driveway (very posh) and then have a pot luck bbq. Everyone just brings what they have on hand. Throw in a snowcone machine and a few fireworks and you've got yourselves a party. Elle has some amazing fashion sense. :) I just love this stage when they wear anything and everything. How come chubby legs are cute on a 2 yr old but not so much on her mother?


Happy Birthday, America. Thanks for the party!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Misty you have got to click on the picture of our kids and the Stienbliks standing in our front yard before the parade. Look at Elle's face. Who taught her to do that? LOL.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with the wonderful activities you get involved in. What great memories for your kids. Thanks for sharing all the fun. MOM

Kimm said...

Looks like you had tons of fun!! I want to be your neighbor!!

Amy and Brad said...

Okay, FUNNEST 4TH EVER! I must someday come to Driveway of Fire! It's on my bucket list!

Glad everybody had a good time...and I bet your kids slept WELL that night!

LOVE YOU!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Wow! What a COOL party! That looks like so much fun. You must have a rockin' neighborhood. :)