Friday, July 24, 2009

Sugar fast

I, personally, would interpret this title to be "Sugar! Fast!" but that's not what this is about. Christian & Haley are on a sugar-fast. For one year. One. Year. Why, you ask? Because that was definitely the question I asked them. There isn't one thing about a sugar-fast that sounds appealing to me. Probably why my clothes are more snug than I'd like them to be. They got the idea from their cousins who are on a sugar-fast to earn money. After an evening last March when the kids were all together, here's the conversation that we had in the car on the way home:

"Hey mom and dad, can we go on a sugar-fast for one year and earn $100?"
"Excuse me ... what? Why?"
"If we go without sugar for one year (holidays and birthdays excluded), will you pay us $100?"

How do you say no to that? Sure, I'd like them to eat healthier and use some self-control with regard to sweets. But I could also imagine times when I'd hear them complaining about not being able to have that cookie or that treat at school. So I said, "Of course you can, but let's get one thing straight ... This is YOUR deal. This is you two policing yourselves, denying yourselves. This is NOT mom or dad forcing you to go without. So no whining, no complaining, no begging for sweets. Agreed?" And shockingly, they both said YES.

And amazingly, they have both done extremely well. I have watched them politely turn down treats when offered, take the soccer treat and promptly hand it to their little sisters, say "no thank you" when papa offered to take them to ice cream, and on and on. I've been amazed. There was one night when Christian could smell the brownies that his aunt was making. It was cruel to permeate the house with the smell of warm brownies, admittedly, but I couldn't punish everyone else for their decision. Christian stood in the kitchen, breathing it in, and said, "I can't stand it. I REALLY want a brownie." I said, "That's totally your decision, bud. You can stop the sugar-fast anytime you want. It's the brownie or the money." He stood there, torn, and finally said, "$100. $100. $100." And his decision was made. It was so great! I loved seeing his resolve and determination to stick with his decision. He popped a bag of popcorn and was fine.

Because they can have sugar on holidays, they've started stashing little treats for the next holiday. I found this on top of the fridge....and Haley showed me her stash.They've been going since March and both have no intention of turning back. It definitely has made me reconsider what groceries I buy -- we don't keep any treats in the house anymore -- and we've found some interesting sugar-free alternatives, but overall this has been a great thing for them both and I'm so proud of them.

Haley recently challenged me to give up Diet Coke for a year and I quickly replied, "Why in the WORLD would I do that??"

8 comments:

Amy and Brad said...

Okay, "Sugar! Fast!" literally made me laugh out loud. You are so funny!

Good for Christian and Haley! That is no easy feat! The older I get the more I realize that sugar makes me grouchy and tired, so I try to stay away from sweets now and it is SO hard. You'll have to pass along your sugar-free treat favorites!

Erin Blake said...

um, because Diet Coke is BAD for you, has been proven to keep weight on and because it is addicting. OK people- don't hate me-just keepin it real:)

Julie said...

Any holiday? If the possibility of sugar existed, I'm sure I could find some obscure ones to fit the bill :)

Anonymous said...

Misty. I will give you $1,000 if you give up Diet Coke for a year. Tempted?

Nancy Nina said...

Wow! I'm impressed! If they can do this then they can do anything. I once went off sugar for 6 weeks because I was told that I wouldn't crave it if it had been out of my system for that long. 6 weeks and 1 day later... I had a sugar fest. Do Columbus Day and Arbor Day count as holidays?

Misty said...

Are you serious, Mike? Why?? Let me think about that one. As for obscure holidays, the kids have already tried that. On Arbor Day, they both came running up to me and said, "It's a holiday!" Umm, no. I'll give them Labor Day but even that's a stretch.

katie thompson said...

why in the world would anyone go off of diet coke. my goodness that is what we do! thats how we survive. ah..in fact i think i need one now.

Erin Blake said...

Mike, we both know, as does Misty, that she already has that $1,000 just by smiling at you.