Rachel: Our husbands have been friends since childhood but Rachel & I see each other more often than they do. She's my movie/music/book/food friend. We have similar tastes in each of those categories and I always know that I'll enjoy whatever she recommends. We love seeing small independent films, reading anything & everything, eating good food, burning each other cd's of some cool new artist and then discussing all of those things repeatedly.
Miss Mikel: Most of my kids' preschool teacher. I came across Mikel by chance but am happy to now call her a good friend, too. Mikel won me over as a teacher when I saw her emerge from one preschool session dressed as the Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom tree -- dressed in brown and green, paper palm fronds shooting up over her head and letters taped all over her body. The woman sews amazing children's clothing and will be a nurse someday soon. She's amazing.
"Joe": K, that's probably not his name but he is the sweetest drive-up window worker guy that I've ever met. He works at Corner 22 and fills up my Diet Coke refills on a regular basis. He's a young'ish kid and he's learned how to be sweet and polite to older'ish ladies like me.
Steph: Everyone who is friends with Steph thinks that they are her BFF. She just makes everyone feel that way. She's always looking out for others, always serving them, calling to check up on, offering to help in some way, organizing fun activities .... If we talk about going to the zoo or something, Steph will call the entire neighborhood and invite them because she doesn't want anyone to feel left out. Ever. She's an amazing woman/person/friend and I want to be more like her.
The entire staff at Dr. Adrian's office: I really love my dentist, partly because I love everyone in his office so much. Not only did they take me to San Francisco to be their sample patient at a seminar (twice), but every time I walk into their office I feel like they are genuinely happy to see me. I even bake them cookies from time to time. Love them all.
Miss Becky: Elle's favorite dance teacher. Becky has a way of relating to little girls and not being frustrated by their current lack of ability to focus. Elle adores her. She's English, too, which makes me love her - just because.
KK: My kids have never actually called my sister by her real name -- she'll always be KK. Kelly is my sibling who always knows more than me about technology, particularly blogs and iPhones. I frequently call her with random "How do you do...?" kind of questions. With one sister out-of-state, I'm extraordinarily grateful that KK is still here. She's always game for a late movie or to meet at the pool.
10 comments:
Misty, I love your blog. It's such a great slice of life, exactly what I'd like to be doing instead of my "here's what we did today" posts. I might just have to steal a few prompts...I especially loved the pet peeves, and I'm with you on the misuse of contractions. I hope you're going to lunch for Marianne's b-day, I'd love to hang out.
Oh, so nice! Those were great. You're a lucky gal, that's for sure. I love the "Joe" one, too. I went through a toll booth recently and this youngish guy smiled and said, "Have a nice day ma'am," and I remembered how I used to hate it when people called me "ma'am" because I felt too young for it. Now I'm like, "Dang STRAIGHT, you call me ma'am!" :)
MISTY!!!!!!!!!! you do the worker corner 22 but not me your fav niece
/syd
MISTY!!!!!!!!!!you did the worker at corner 22 but not your fav niece
/syd
Joey, the soda boy!
Bring me DC, bring me joy.
Oh Joey the soda boy,
I love him, I love him, I LOVE him!
There's a boy who works at Corner-22,
Who is very inspirational.
He is very inspirational because of many things.
I come in at 8:11, and he smiles and says, "How are you?"
When he smiles and says, "How are you?"
I could swear my heart grows wings!
So today at 8:11
I decided I should meet him
I decided I should meet him
In a proper formal way.
So today at 8:11 when he smiled and said "How are you?"
I said "Fine, and my name's Misty"
And he softly answered, "Hey."
And I said "My name is Misty, and thank you for the extra ice…"
And he said his name was Joey,
And I supply the diet coke to quench your vice.
Joey the soda boy,
Bring me DC, bring me joy!
Oh Joey the DC boy,
I love him, I love him, I love him…
Ahhh... I like that husband of yours! Zach doesn't even read my blog, let alone come up with comments like these! I'm so glad I was included in your list. I'm totally going to steal this idea. Love you!
Very funny, Mikey. And Syd .... I'm going to write a special post just for you. You just wait. :)
Ok... so I was going to leave a comment about your sweet post, but I'm laughing too hard.
Mike, when are you going to quit your "day job" and become a writer. I'll be the first in line to buy your book or see the movie based on your screenplay.
And Misty, you are far too kind. Thank you!
Kimi: She used to be my sister's bestie but then my sister moved and left an opening, which I quickly grabbed up and now Kimi and I are going to be besties with all our movies and lunches and fun outings.
Can't believe I left that one out of my random selection of relationships!
Oh, this is Misty, btw. Um, I was at Kimi's using her computer. Because we're besties and we do stuff like that.
Post a Comment