Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sun Valley mega-post

Sun Valley, Idaho is my new happy place. I'd never been there before this past week. Mike had a work seminar there so the kids & I went with him. Soooo glad we did.

I thought Sun Valley was a town, but it's a ginormous resort. Kind of a town in itself, in a way. There are a couple of lodges/hotels, tons of condos and houses, multiple golf courses, a lake, several swimming pools, an outdoor year-round ice skating rink, a bowling alley, spa, shops, restaurants of all kinds, movie theater, opera house, bike trails .... This place has it all. We loved it.

Our accomodations were one of the kids' favorite parts. We had a 3 bedroom condo with a kitchen and great room. Each bedroom had its own bathroom and tv so the kids were happy. Mike had meetings some of the time but still had plenty of downtime, too. So we played. We swam, shopped, rode paddle boats, rode a gondola to the top of a mountain and had lunch overlooking the view. We watched movies (I even caught a midnight viewing of Eclipse ;)), went bowling, ate great food, drove an hour into the Sawtooth Nat'l Forest to Redfish Lake, and saw an ice show with Olympic ice skaters. Very cool.

Next to Sun Valley is Ketchum. It's such a quaint, cool little town. (Even Ashton & Demi think so since they live nearby. I had my eyes peeled for Ashton but we didn't have any chance run-ins, unfortunately.)

On the drive...
Our roommate, Buck. This picture doesn't show how huge he was. Elle thought I called him a 'bug' and proceeded to call him "LadyBug" the rest of the time.

At lunch, overlooking the ice skating rink. You can kind of see one of the professional skaters doing a turn in the background.
Loved the pool ...
We wore ourselves out ... Redfish Lake was spectacular. We didn't bring swimsuits so the kids made-do.And then ended up hanging their pants out the windows on the drive home to dry....
The auto ice maker in the freezer kept the kids happy.
Taking an all-glass gondola up the mountain was definitely a cool ride.
Looking down on Sun Valley (tucked up the canyon) & Ketchum (below).
At the mountain-top, open restaurant.
We had a little mishap with the sunscreen. Paige was in pain and very upset at me for getting some in her eye...
We played a killer bingo game (as part of the seminar Mike was attending). The prizes were amazing -- a Kindle, ipods, $100 gift cards, a ripstick skateboard, and many others. Christian scored a remote control helicopter and Mike won a digital picture frame. Coolest game of Bingo we've ever played.
No, dad! Don't go to any meetings!
Elle claims that the paddle boats were her favorite part of the whole trip.
We're all hoping that Mike attends this conference again next year. We'd be there with him for sure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite was seeing Christian comforting his little sister. When mama isn't welcome (because she caused it), Big Brother is appreciated. Love those kids!!!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Wow, it all looks so fun! I have heard of Sun Valley but I've never been there. It was fun to see all your pictures. Looks like a GREAT place, and beautiful!! It reminds me a little of Banff, Canada, with the glass gondola and the rivers/lakes and all the trees. How cool!!

Just Us said...

Reading your post makes me want to puke. We lived there! It was our favorite place to live and wish we could go back. This post made me want to go back even more. It's the best place ever. Next time you go you need to head south to Hailey and eat at Zou's. The best sushi ever!

Rachel said...

Yeah, if he goes next year I think I'll come along too!