My cute Paige was sooo excited to start 1st grade. She would finally get to stay all day like the older kids, she'd get to have lunch at school (which has, so far, been as exciting for her as she anticipated) and she would finally NOT be a kindergartener anymore. The reality of 1st grade was pretty great at first, but she's suddenly realizing how great she really had it in kindergarten. As she hears Elle say, "We went to the zoo today!" or "Mommy took me to grandma's to play!", she's been slowly getting more sad about spending all day in school and missing out on the fun she used to have. I feel her pain -- I'm still missing having my Paigie home with me. But it's life and I knew this time would come. Thankfully for me, I still have my little Elle to play with and keep me company.
Paige was teary this morning before school, sad about the long day ahead. After a quick but much needed playdate after school, I drove her to dance. She hugged me before she got out of the car and said, "I just miss you, mommy." Awww... breaking my heart!
I decided that we needed a mommy/daughter date after she was done with dance. So I picked her up and said, "Just me & you, babe. Where would you like to go?" The look on her face was priceless. She couldn't believe her luck. After going over her options, she said, "I want to go have some pie." Frankly, I expected her to shoot a little higher but ok. Marie Callender's it was.
As we chatted away about anything she felt like sharing, I watched her animated little face and realized how much I miss her, too. I love her spunkiness, her laugh, her enthusiasm for life. She took one bite of her banana cream pie, sighed and said, "This is sooo good! I wish I could just stick my face in it and go 'b-b-b-b-b' (zerbert-style)." The child cracks me up! And makes life fun for all of us.
As we pulled in the driveway, Paige said, "Thanks, mom. That was just what I needed." Clearly, we need more quality time together. If pie with mom was all she needed to feel better for awhile, then I might just have to gain a few pounds for the team.
Gladly.
10 comments:
Oh, I love this!! Poor Paige. That first grade is rough. My Belinda is going through the same thing in 4th grade. Here, they apparently really step it up in 4th grade and they get lots more homework. Poor thing doesn't like school for the first time in her life and it makes me sad. Anyway... I love your date with Paige. I try to do one-on-ones with my kids every month or so, and it is so refreshing (just like you were saying) to have it be just the two of you where you can see them as an individual without the extra stuff that comes with their siblings. I LOVE the way you ended this post, too--that is totally how I feel, gaining a few pounds for the team! It's just what we gotta do! :)
Misty- this was the age when Sydney started never wanting to go to dance, any after school thing. She just wanted to be home with me. Tears many many mornings. It made me sad too. Your post made me happy. That's why I think it's important for moms not to get too busy with other "stuff". That after school time is so important to connect with your kids!! Love and miss you. ERIN
Sweet and tender! Thanks for sharing.
Priceless!
hmm...everything is making sense.
i get home and my mom says, hey lets go feed ducks and take pictures. what the heck why would i do that mom...i'm staying home and i'm exhausted...
she was trying to be a cool mom.
i totally bursted her bubble.
ha.
thanks misty, i miss paige and you!! love you!!
hmm...everything is making sense.
i get home and my mom says, hey lets go feed ducks and take pictures. what the heck why would i do that mom...i'm staying home and i'm exhausted...
she was trying to be a cool mom.
i totally bursted her bubble.
ha.
thanks misty, i miss paige and you!! love you!!
Pie! I need pie too!!!
Seriously, what a great memory to make. Good mommy!
Hey this made me tear up.
1st Grade is rough!!! Paige is so sweet!
I love her laugh too! Sounds like a perfect as pie kind of night!
Post a Comment