I've been so sad this week. I haven't been on this side of grief before and my emotions have surprised me. I really love my dad. Loved? Love? Which should it be? I'm not ready to talk in past-tense about him yet. I watched him lose his hair and drop a lot of weight over the past few years going through chemo, but I still wasn't prepared for him to die. I'm just so sad to lose him.
My little brother said he has no regrets -- that he said everything he wanted to say to dad and had the kind of relationship he wanted to have with him. I'm not sure I can say that. I'm so, so grateful that I went to see him a month ago. That trip was perfect -- he wasn't overly sick yet, we had lots of hugging and talking time, just being together time. I'm so glad that my last memories of him were those few days together. But I still have regrets. I could have called him more often. I could have skyped him more, told him more what he has meant to me ... What he'll always mean to me.
I appreciate so many kind sentiments from others but the truth is that I really just feel like crawling back in bed and not talking to anyone for a few weeks. I've definitely retreated a bit. I'll return to something resembling normalcy at some point, I'm sure. I just need time to get there.
It was so strange and sad to be up in Red Lodge last week without him there. To look down the hall at his room and the computer where he spent so much time (writing countless Facebook updates, most of which were inappropriate but usually so funny), to see his truck sitting empty outside, to still smell him in his bedroom, to see all of his things still in his room where he left them (his extremely organized closet and neatly hung jeans rack), to see his haiku poetry all gathered together waiting to be made into a book, to see his cowboy boots by the side of his bed and his cowboy hats all stacked neatly nearby....
I love you, dad. I miss you so much. I know you are well again, though, and that I'll see you again someday. And then we'll have a big bear hug, like you always give, and things will be o.k. again. Until then....
6 comments:
Beautiful, Misty. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through. If you want my opinion, it's "love," not "loved." You love your dad. That has always been true and will always be true forever. My prayers are with you! xoxo
Thinking of you. Love you!
Definitely say, "Love" instead of "Loved." :) We pray for you!
My dear Misty, I wish I could be there just to sit and hug you and share this tender time. Your feelings are normal and your willingness to share them with others will help lift us all in times of need. I know your dad still lives and is free from the pain of his illness, so love instead of loved is certainly appropriate. Hang on to your memories for they will bring you comfort and joy in the years to come. Love, Mom
When you lose someone as important and special as a dad I think you deserve some "crawl into bed" feelings. Just call me and let me get Elle and I'll bring you a diet coke and a blanket...
Hope you have a wonderful weekend remembering and celebrating his life!
I'm calling my dad right now.
Post a Comment