Friday, March 11, 2011

"The Purpose of the Task is to Strengthen the Relationship"

I read a post on a friend's blog that was profound.  She had come across the above quote and described all of the ways that it had changed her thinking, and had therefore changed her actions.  It moved me, because it's true.  And as I've thought more about it, my actions have changed, too. 

When Elle wanted me to read to her instead of read my own book, I pulled her onto my lap and cuddled with her while I read to her.  Because the purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship.

When I picked Haley up from a school activity, I turned off my music and listened.  Because the purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship.

When Paige wanted to show me her ump'teenth dance of the afternoon, I closed the laptop and cheered her on.  Because the purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship.

When Christian asked for my input with his school project, I chose my words and advice with greater care.  Because the purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship.

When the little girls asked for a made-up bedtime story, I put the laundry basket down and climbed into bed with them and wove a pretty lame tale, unfortunately -- but stilll.   Because the purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship.

Thanks, Carrie, for inspiring me (and for hopefully not minding that I pirated your thoughts on my blog). I hope I don't lose sight of this a-ha moment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I'm pretty sure I'll use this post to my advantage some day. :)

Rachel said...

Yes! But what do you do when you start to try to strengthen the relationship and the kids start crying and telling you that you're doing it wrong? I swear, Misty, I feel like I'm putting 100% effort into the kids and the house is still filled with contention! Ack!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

GREAT quote!! I love it. I need to remember that.

Nancy Nina said...

Words to live by.

Mom and Kenz said...

Very profound... think I'll put that on the fridge.

Kimi said...

Yes! I've had that concept in my mind for a while, but never the words to articulate it. Thanks for that! Beautiful!

In the end the task rarely matters, but the relationship ALWAYS matters.

So, where and whom is that quote from, exactly?

Judy said...

Your thoughts and actions demonstrate true wisdom. Way to go. Love, Mom