Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pie eating contest

A few months ago, Mike & I went with Dave & Steph to a friend's wedding reception. Well, sort of. They picked us up and we drove to the reception center, where we were surprised that the parking lot was not jam packed with cars. This family knows everyone in Bountiful and we were fully expecting the line to be out the door. We grabbed our gifts and walked inside the reception center, only to be greeted by blaring rock music (not the classy reception we expected from them) and a small wedding crowd .... and not a single person we recognized. We got a few strange looks while we smiled and backed out the door. Since neither of us had the actual invitation on hand, we checked another reception center but no go. After calling our kids and having them read the invitation, we realized that the reception wasn't until the next week. How Steph & I both missed that, I'll never know. Since the groom's parents are great friends of ours, we all drove over to their house - gifts in hand - and laughingly explained our error.

So, when Steph called me earlier this week about another friend's reception last night, she asked me to double check the date (no way we'd ever make that mistake again!) and then agreed to go together to the reception. I checked the invite - yep, they were getting married on the 20th. We wrapped our gifts and drove to the home where the reception was ... except no reception. Seriously?!? There had to be a mistake! So we checked the invitation (which of course I brought this time) and sure enough, the wedding was on the 20th ... but the reception is on the 27th. I'm not kidding. We  I did it twice. I'd say it was a blonde moment but I'm a red head. We just shouldn't be allowed to go to receptions with Dave & Steph ever again.

The good part of both evenings, though, was that we went out for dessert instead. The first time was ice cream, last night was pie. Lots and lots of pie.
9 pieces of pie to be exact. One piece of every kind they had left.  And we ate them all. As Steph kept insisting, though, "That only turns out to be 2 1/4 pieces each. That's not that bad!"
Some seriously good pie, too, at a little hole in the wall kind of diner. Come join us for a wedding reception soon and we'll go have pie together instead.

7 comments:

The Lymans said...

No wonder Steph called me last night to go on a walk!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Too hilarious--missing the reception that many times. I LOVE your "solution," though, and tasting all the kinds of pie. That's my kinda night. Awesome.

Rachel said...

That is making me laugh like crazy. Can I come up on the 27th so I can try out some of this pie?

Mom and Kenz said...

I can't wait until the next missed reception... these are definitely two of my best Hess/Mayfield memories! (and I'm stealing your blog post!)

Unknown said...

Too funny. I have been meaning to thank you and Mike for letting me be the third wheel at the Torres wedding! You two were so nice to sit with me while I ate.
Oh hey. Were you at Left Fork Grill for pie?? They have the best pie in SLC. He uses LARD for his pie crust. Delish. Love that place.

Misty said...

Si!! It was Left Fork! That's so great that you knew where I meant with such a random description. Extraordinarily yummy pie. :)

Unknown said...

I put two and two together. yummy pie description, and the pics of the sea shells imbedded in the wall behind your heads. Unique.