What do you do when the weather forecast looks like this?
You leave town for someplace cooler. Like, Alaska cool.
We've known that we wanted to go on another cruise with our kids and I've always wanted to see Alaska that way ... so it made for a fun trip opportunity. We asked our parents, who all immediately agreed to go along, and begged my sister to allow her 12 year old daughter to come, too. That made a happy party of 10.
Some of us drove to Seattle ... (Haley, happy with her road trip junk food.)
These girls are road trip troopers. Between watching movies and playing Name That Tune on my iPod, we were happily entertained for the 13+ hours each way.
We met up with the rest of the party who flew in, had a lovely lunch overlooking the water near Pike Place Market...

... and then we headed to the dock and loaded the ship. Grandpa & Grandma Mayfield's 1st ever cruise and Grandma Farley's 1st in the last 45 years.
Paige has been so excited for this cruise that she would watch countless video clips on Princess Cruises' website. She full-on memorized their 3 minute video commercial.
She knew every inch of the ship before we even stepped foot aboard it. We'd always ask her which floor things were located on. It was pretty funny. She couldn't contain her excitement when we actually boarded the ship that she had dreamed about for months. :)
Leaving Seattle ...

Couldn't quite make it through the evening shows. All of that rocking lulled her to sleep.
The girls had the fun chance to bake in the galley with the real chefs of the ship. Pretty cool.
One night on the ship, the teen club had a talent show ... and my 3 oldest kids performed (Sydney was one of our 5 children on the trip :)...)
We had 4 stops ... Ketchikan was warm & sunny, which is rare since it's a rainforest.
We took a van tour of the town and discovered 'salmon berries.' They grow wild and the girls picked them whenever they could.
Ketchikan also has a totem pole village. Christian enjoyed making up histories about each totem pole, telling the girls about how "This eagle sprouted out of the head of this ancient tribal chief..." etc. Cracked us up.
Juneau was rainy, but a fun little town. Christian & Grandpa went ziplining through the forest. So beautiful!
Hello, tiny Russian nesting dolls! This one was $900, so I only bought 2. (haha) Why so much Russian stuff in Alaska? Because Sarah Palin can see Russia from her house.
The rest of us explored shopped around town, and then the girls & I rode the tram to the mountain top and down several times.


Mike & Grandpa competed in the town's "egg toss." They hold the world record for the most people competing in an egg toss at one time. Yay Skagway. :) They filled up all of Main Street and tossed raw eggs at each other.

They made it several rounds, taking a step back each time. Then Paige took a raw egg to the head and that ended our family fun.
This kid always seems to find girls wherever he goes. Good thing this one was only cardboard.
And that's the whole cruise.... Very fun, happy to be with the people we were with, loved the whole experience. :)

Mike & his parents drove quickly home the minute we docked. The kids, my mom & I all went to visit my 94 yr old Grandma Hixon in Seattle before mom flew back out. We don't get to see her very often at all, so I'm happy we had a chance to re-introduce her to these more-grown-up kids since last she saw them.

Knowing we wouldn't make it all the way to back to Utah in one day at that point, we decided to take the scenic route down through Portland, Oregon. I'd never been there and we were only a couple of hours away. I couldn't get over how beautiful it was! Totally sunny, which I realize is a rarity there, and greenery, water and bridges everywhere. Loved it. We went to see the Portland LDS Temple....
We walked into the Visitor's Center and ran into Carly from our neighborhood, there on her mission. Totally forgot that's where she was! So fun to see her as a missionary. I took a picture and immediately sent it off to her mom. :)
And that was the trip! Loved it and can't wait for the next one. :)
















































3 comments:
yay! Great post Misty. Thanks for this :)
What a great record of our trip. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Oh my goodness!!! I love that you ended this in Portland. I lived 13 years right across the river in WA. This was my temple!! I'm still in love with it. I'll probably be homesick for the Pacific NW as long as I live--green and lush and beautiful!! I LOVE all this great stuff you did. Alaska looks totally amazing!! And Victoria, BC, is one of my FAVORITE spots!!
Post a Comment