Friday, April 17, 2009

Without my sister ....

I have 2 amazing sisters. My older sister, Erin's birthday was this week. She's been one of my best friends throughout most of my life and I've learned so much from her. Just thought I'd share a few of those things:

Without my sister ....
1. I wouldn't have moved to Bountiful. She kept sending Mike and me house-fact sheets and eventually wooed us up north. We live 2 minutes away from each other, which has been so great in so many ways.
2. I wouldn't be as familiar with near as many musicians as I am. She is a music lover through and through and is always introducing me to a new band or song.
3. I wouldn't attend as many late-night movies as I do. It's our big escape together. Not so much lately since her pregnant body needs more sleep. :)
4. I wouldn't have learned as many great parenting tips. Because she started having kids before me (and is still having them after me ... hmmm), it's been great for me to learn from her experience. Everything from how to get a 7 week old baby to fall asleep on their own in their crib to advice about raising teenagers.
5. I wouldn't have someone to shop with for last minute holiday gifts. We've often power-shopped at Target or somewhere at 10pm the night before Easter or late in the Christmas season to get it all done.
6. I wouldn't have had such a great 10 year wedding anniversary. (Don't take that the wrong way, Mike!) The 4 of us traveled to Europe together for Mike and my anniversary and Erin's 35th birthday. So many great memories....
7. I wouldn't have spent as much time as I did at the UofU as a kid. Erin acted in many plays at the U in their children's theater program and I went to many of her play practices with her. I remember exploring the Pioneer Memorial Theater more than I probably should have. See, Erin? You gave me my love for the U. :)
8. I wouldn't have such well-dressed kids. Love all the hand-me-downs.
9. I wouldn't have someone to borrow random food ingredients from. My neighbors might beg to differ but Erin is my usual go-to person for forgotten grocery items, and vice-versa.
10. I wouldn't have met my husband. You all know the story but their college crush led to my eternal marriage.

Happy birthday, my dear Erin. I couldn't ask for a better big sister.

5 comments:

Misty said...

Never fear, Kell... the Tribute to Kelly post is coming soon. :)

Erin Blake said...

Oh my. How nice is this?! You forgot to mention that you got your good verbal skills from word fighting with me as a teen. See, at the time, I knew I was giving you a gift:) Not to mention your strong arms from always lifting me in dance poses growing up. That has led to your tone body today.
Love you Misty! Thanks mucho. You know I'm words of affirmation, so pretty cool for me..

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Sisters are the BEST!!! :) I'm glad you got such an amazing one. That was a sweet post. :)

Nicalee said...

I could do a post of my own like this, we are so blessed to have sisters...they really can be a girl's best friends

Kristy said...

That is so sweet! I'm still so envious of all of you girls that have sisters. :0( Brothers are amazing, but well.....just not quite the same as I imagine a sister would be!