The scouting world has been a whole new experience for me. When Christian turned 8, one of his scout leaders called me and started saying things like "His den will be meeting at the church ..." and "Monthly pack meetings are held ...." Wha?? She had to back up and explain what a den and a pack even were. I'm only slightly more wise about it now, 3 years later.
Turning 11 for Christian meant that he graduated from cub scouts into boy scouts. He worked really hard to earn all of the Webelos activities badges he could, and ended up earning all 20 instead of just the required 17. His scout leader said she hadn't ever had a boy earn all 20 in the 4 years she's had the calling. Christian was pretty proud about that.
At his last pack meeting as a cub scout, he earned the Arrow of Light award. He put together a display about himself showing things that he's interested and involved in (he chose his Tae Kwon Do belts, his favorite book
Pendragon, a Lego creation and one of his best dragon drawings) ...

... and then there was a nice presentation.

We painted color stripes on his face, each color representing something from scouting (you'll have to ask the scout, not his mother, what they all meant because I don't remember :{ ),

.. and then he walked over a wooden bridge, symbolizing his "crossing over" into boy scouts. As he walked across the bridge, two of his friends called, "Don't leave us!"

He was presented with a cool leather wall-hanging with all of his earned badges, belt loops and pins on it. It's a great way to sum-up his 3 years in cub scouts.


He was also presented with a bead & claw necklace, each bead symbolizing things he had achieved in scouts.

It was a very cool night and fun to see Christian be so proud of what he had accomplished. He's already moved on to boy scouts and loves it. Now the push for his Eagle is on...
5 comments:
Wow, that really IS cool! Preston got his Arrow of Light and they didn't have anything nearly so cool. Good for Christian, too, for getting all 20. Very awesome! (And I was EXACTLY THE SAME at first --what the heck is a pack? What is a den? etc. etc.) Way to go, Christian!!
Very cool. Way to go, Christian. The scouting world is so foreign to me. And not in a "foreign country I'd like to visit" way either. :)
There is a good reason I only had girls. Congrats Christian!!
I remember Connor's arrow of light ceremony very well. Fun times. Unfortunately, that was the last ceremony I think for Connor before he fell off the bandwagon. Congrats to Christian!
Very cool! I didn't realize how much they do so young. I thought Personal Progress had a lot. I'll need your help in a few years!
Post a Comment