Movies:
* Avatar (twice in 2D, once in 3D -- loved it)
* Young Victoria (Emily Blunt is fabulous; how refreshing to see a happy monarchy)
* The Lightning Thief (saw it in a theater full of elementary kids and their parents, arranged by our school. Very fun movie experience!)
* Valentine's Day (little bit naughty - be warned)
* The hubby and I just watched Time Traveler's Wife on DVD
Books:
* The Lightning Thief series (loved, loved it!)
* Boy in the Striped Pajamas (fascinating take on the Holocaust)
* Wizard & Witch (2.5 stars)
* Outlander series (still working my way through it, and loving it)
Volunteering:
* Kindergarten -- Weekly, helping test the kids on reading (I'm absolutely amazed at the extreme differences between what each kid knows and can do at that age)
* 3rd grade -- Playing the piano and helping to teach Haley's class an opera that they wrote. No joke. They wrote the story and lyrics, the Utah Opera Company came in and helped them figure out the tune and then wrote the score for them. They'll perform it next month. I'm totally blown away.
* 5th grade -- Help with reading circle, always about various "creepy animals." We've learned about giant squids, man-eating tigers, etc. Perfect for 11 yr old kids.
Church:
* Newly called to help out in Primary. Didn't realize how many bulletin boards there were in the primary room, all of which get updated often. Love the change and love being there with my kids.
House:
* I'm on a painting kick ... as in painting the walls, not portraits. I've painted the cabinet and walls in one bathroom, installed a new light and changed hardware. Moving on to the front room and the rest of our main floor, all of which has needed an update. My home improvement skills are getting a little better as I go.
4 comments:
I really liked the Lightning Thief, too. Preston wanted to go see it again about 20 minutes after we left the theater. ;) I haven't seen Time Traveler's Wife but thought it looked good. And I love your volunteering, too. I don't do as much of that as I'd like--the schools here don't "need" parent volunteers as much as our old school. :( boo hoo I hear ya on the varied kindergarten levels--I'm always amazed at that, too. And I LOVE the 3rd graders' opera story. That is AMAZING!!! I mean, TOTALLY AMAZING! WOW!
And on top of all of that you are a pretty rockin' wife.
um..yeah...saw Avatar one day, walked out of theater, wanted to see again instantly...took hubby next day and saw again.
From a former teacher, thank to moms who volunteer. As I read about reading in Kindergarter I thought, "Welcome to my world." Operas written by elementary classes have been going on for awhile thanks to inservice provided by Utah Opera. One of our teachers presented one each year wth his 4th grade class. Brings back fond memories. Love you, Mom in Africa
Post a Comment