Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pet peeves

My wonderful husband has many great qualities. He makes me laugh daily, he loves to talk and tell me all about his day or how he feels about whatever, he's good at what he does, he has a natural ability with people, he's a romantic, he tells me and shows me often that he adores me ... I adore him, too.

One of his not-so-great qualities is his inability to keep tabs on where he's placed items. Keys, wallets, sunglasses, allergy meds, whatever. It's not uncommon to hear him shout, "I'll give $1 to anyone who can find my keys!"

While I've definitely misplaced the occasional item, I'm usually pretty anal about things having a place and putting everything back where they belong. So when Mike borrowed my eye drops the other day and then promptly misplaced them, I wasn't a happy camper. Which got me thinking about other things that bug me....

• As I said, other people misplacing my stuff. Do not, dear children, take my phone from the charger and go play games on it in your room. Do. Not.
• The misuse of the words it's and its, your and you're, their and they're and there. I've even gotten notes home from teachers with these words misused. Seriously?
• Uncivil drivers. It bugs that drivers don't offer a little wave anymore when you let them merge or whatever.
• The word 'moist' and when sports commentators use the word 'penetrate.' Ewww.
• Rudeness from kids toward adults. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying my kids are perfect in that way but I've seen kids be outright rude and disrespectful to an adult and their parent doesn't correct it or teach otherwise. Scary to picture those kids as adults.

Can't think of any others. What are your pet peeves?

12 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Wow, your list is my list!!! Except maybe "moist". I'm okay with that. But otherwise... I am totally with you!

I got a note from a teacher at the end of the school year using one of those grammatical errors (can't remember which one off the top of my head)... and she was offering her services for tutoring over the summer!!! Ah. I think not.

Anonymous said...

My pet peeves:

1. People who talk loudly during movies. Honestly, do you really think I paid $10 to come and listen to you? It seems like this is a growning problem. I have had to ask people to be quiet in four of the last five movies I attended. Attention Mr. Loud Mouth at the Movie Theater: You are not funny. You are not clever. Shut up already.

2. Spouses that post about your pecadillos on their blog. :)

Kelly said...

My pet peeve today is the outsourcing of customer service to India by American companies. Paying a bill over the phone today took twice as long as it needed to because I couldn't understand the guy!

Erin Blake said...

Your funny Misty. They're comes a time when its not good to let things peeve you. A word of advise. :)

Annemarie said...

OK, this is hilarious.

Dying over "moist" SO TRUE!

I can not stand family style rest. I want my own food thankyouverymuch. Also, the grammar thing you mentioned...it bugs me, too.

Erin Blake said...

oh also, it bugs me when people tell me to be quiet in movie theatres.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Erin.

alison said...

Ohhh, this is a good one Misty! I might have to add a couple and then do my own!

The same phone ordeal with my kids.

When I tell my kids to get off MY lap top and they say "just a minute".

When people write Yeah, Yay, and Ya incorrectly. Wrote a blog on it once.

People who leave me $1 as a tip.

Twilight freaks! Ha, just kidding!

Kimi said...

Great post, Misty! Looks like you've touched on a hot topic.

Mike, I'm likin' 'pecadillos' but it's not in my online dictionary. Did you make it up?

Why do so many people hate the word 'moist?' I have so many friends who feel that way that when I hear the word I start to get bugged...until I remember it doesn't bother me!

Anonymous said...

@ Kimi. I misspelled it...

"pec·ca·dil·lo." Noun: A small, relatively unimportant offense or sin

Anonymous said...

Misty I laughed so hard. I am always complaining about the missing waves when I let someone cut me! And I HATE the word moist. And frothy. Ewww.

Judy said...

So sorry Misty, but I'm afraid misplacing things is in his genes. Dad still has the same problem. I love him dearly, but he can't keep track of his keys etc. for anything. I have been finding his keys hanging in the lock on the door lately. So glad this condition is not really important in this life. Love, Mom in Africa