Monday, August 23, 2010

Great things about back-to-school

* Noticing that each of my kids (even Christian - gasp!) had laid out their 1st day of school clothes by Saturday afternoon. And Christian even had a bottle of cologne next to his outfit. That's a new addition this year.

* Watching my cute husband give each of our kids a blessing on Sunday night. I had to sneak a peak at each child, sitting quietly with their eyes closed, head bowed and arms folded. Seeing little Elle squeeze her eyes shut for the whole blessing was almost as great as the blessing itself. I'm so grateful for that little tradition.

* Watching my 3 oldest kids emerge from their rooms Monday morning, giddy & excited. And about 2 hours before school started. They all admitted they hadn't slept much and kept asking when it was time to go to school. Reminded me of Christmas morning.

* Seeing those same kids, emerge from school happy and still excited. They all had great first days at school and are still excited to go back tomorrow. Awesome.

* Taking my little Elle with me to the car after the kids were dropped off at school, knowing that she and I will have lots of one-on-one time together this year. And next year, too. I'm definitely not ready to let go of her yet. She's started making a list of things she wants us to do together .... "The zoo! And grandma's house, and the Children's Museum. And go to lunch. And pedicures!" She is so my daughter.

* Hosting some of my girlfriends at my house for my annual back-to-school breakfast. My sister has dubbed it the "Boo-Hoo Woo-Hoo breakfast." :) We had fewer tears this year than in years past, but Steph assures me that she'll be crying tomorrow. It's one of my favorite traditions all year.

Here's to a great school year. I'm hoping they'll have great friends and lots of good grades. That's not too much to ask, is it?

4 comments:

katie thompson said...

my dad would do the same thing for us. i will never forget that. so awesome.

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I love the cologne addition. I'm still waiting for that, and mine is 13. I think he'll follow the tradition of his father and not care about girls until he's at college. That will be fine with me. :) I will be missing the one-on-one time once school starts for us, and I will be sad. My youngest was in kindergarten last year so we had all morning just the two of us. I already know how much I'm going to miss that once he's a first-er. I think your sister has it right on--"Boo-Hoo Woo-Hoo" is perfect! I totally wish I could join you. It's a fantastic tradition!!! :)

Heather Armstrong said...

Oooh, Tommy would love to join Elle at the zoo or Children's Museum sometime. Let us know!

Tammy said...

I seriously want to hang out with you. I know we were friends in heaven. You're so much fun, and I'm so glad our paths have crossed.