Ever had to drink this stuff?? My first time was 3 yrs ago. My dad was battling colon cancer, which both my grandpa and great-grandpa had also passed away from. My 27 yr old cousin was in medical school and had a routine colonoscopy and, shockingly, the dr. found a polyp. That caused me and most of my siblings and cousins to go get colonoscopies ourselves. When they rolled me into the procedure room, the dr. looked at me and said, "Now, tell me why we're doing this to a 35 yr. old woman?" I explained my history, the dr. said, "Good enough" and then actually found and removed 2 polyps. Several of my cousins had them, too. Scary. So now, I'm on the 3 yr colonoscopy plan. My 2nd one was supposed to be this morning.Getting a colonoscopy really isn't so bad. You're either out cold or they give you some kind of amnesiac so you don't remember the procedure. The absolute worst part of the whole ordeal is the prep. See that container thing? You have to drink two of them (1 liter each), filled with the nastiest liquid, in a short amount of time. The problem is, the minute that stuff hits my mouth, I'm gagging and spitting it right back up. So much so that I wasn't able to keep enough down this time to make it at all effective. Years of morning sickness has made my gag reflex so strong that I often have a hard time just brushing my teeth. So good luck with drinking large amounts of nasty liquid.
I called the nurse this morning and explained that I couldn't complete the prep, to which she said, "Why don't you try taking the pills, then?" What?! That was an option?? Why didn't anyone tell me the first time? Granted, it's 32 pills (no joke) but I'll take that over the super salty, ocean-water tasting stuff.
I'm scheduled for next week. And I'm not actually dreading it anymore so that's a start... Good times, people. Good times.
8 comments:
sob sob sob don't make me do this. Please don't. Sob. I don't want to gag and throw up. And I sob will. NO. Seriously No.
I like "out cold" and "amnesiac so you don't remember the procedure." Thank heavens for a nurse who knows about pills. Duh. Somebody definitely should have told you that before now.
Erin, do pills make you gag and throw up? I am willing to consider it after Misty's report next week. I am tired of 20 years of my doctor laying the guilt trip on me for not having the test. MAYBE with pills I can. MOM
Erin, just suck it up and take the pills.
Misty, when I saw that picture I was worried about W(way)TMI. But it was fine and a good warning to people about things that must be done, pleasant or not. (Erin!)
Kthanxbye.
hahahahahahaha.
Poor Misty! I hope you are feeling better today and am wishing you luck with your 32 pills next week! Keep me posted...
You go girl! How great to take charge. Let me know how the pills work. They sound like an answer to prayer. Love you, Mom
I think I would find a different gastroenterologist... mine only had me get 2 1.5oz bottles of oral saline laxative that you add to 8oz of water and 2 dulcolax pills, then just keep drinking and drinking. Seriously check out Dr Pugh in Layton.
Post a Comment