We spent the evening at Lagoon last night. Usually a fun time for everyone, but last night tragedy struck. Unbeknownst to me, Haley took her itouch along with her. She put it in a ziploc bag (in case she got wet on any rides) along with her Lagoon pass and about $7 and slipped it all in her pocket. She went on a couple of rides with her friend and then came and found me, absolutely sobbing. The bag had fallen out and was gone. We hurried to lost & found, where we discovered that the ziploc had been turned in with everything minus the itouch. Of course. Haley let out the saddest sob. We sat down and let her cry on my shoulder for awhile. I told her other sad stories of my stuff getting stolen and we talked about how, sadly, you have to be so cautious with valuables these days. She turned angry and said, "Let's stop everyone at the gate and search them! How could someone do this to me? They must have a black hole for a heart!" She'd become so jaded in just a few minutes. But how could she not?
We stayed at Lagoon (even though she begged to go and swore that she'd never return to that "evil place!") and checked back at lost & found at the end of the night, with no luck. She cursed herself for bringing her ipod in the first place and cried herself to sleep.
Mike and I talked about it that night. Should we just buy her a new one? We both knew the answer was no. It was a painful lesson for her but an important one. By morning, she was counting her money and deciding to save all summer to buy another one. Paige & Elle planned a lemonade stand with her to raise some cash. The little sisters took the loss almost as hard as Haley did.Then the phone rang. Caller i.d. said it was Lagoon calling. Could it be?? Sure enough ... someone turned her ipod in and it was unharmed. (Cue sunlight streaming down on Haley and heavenly choirs singing 'Hallelujah' as she beamed from ear to ear.) Major happy ending to a sad and painful lesson. She's been reconnected with her ipod and all is happy with the world. I'm happy, though, that she had the experience. She'll never forget it and will be more careful (and appreciative) as a result. That's how life goes, isn't it?
6 comments:
Okay that story just about killed me.
I'm so glad that story has a happy ending. I sure hate it when my kids have to learn hard lessons and I know I shouldn't save them from it. That's rough. And so relieving as well!
I'm glad it turned out well. Those hard lessons are the worst. I thought it was very sweet that her sisters were right behind her helping her raise money to replace it.
Seriously I have tears in my eyes! I am so happy for her and what a great lesson she is learning. (Lauren the skeptic said maybe whoever took it couldn't get the pass code and decided it wasn't worth being dishonest for.)
The sign cracks me up. What loving sisters. So happy there was a happy ending, and that she had a chance to learn. Loving you all, Mom
The "black hole for a heart" that was so funny. Sad for Hailey, but really, a geat story and learning exp.
I absolutely LOVED the sign. Your kids are too cute.
Post a Comment