Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Excuse me?

I know I'm not that young anymore but I don't think of myself as being that old either. I'm totally fine with my age (36, thank you very much) and am not in the least bit upset over the big 4-0 in a few years. What I didn't realize, however, is that others don't see me as being as young as I feel.

Case in point, the receptionist at the dentist's office today. I would have guessed she's about my age. But today, as she was trying to figure out where she recognized me from, she said, "Were you ever involved in teaching? You look like a student teacher I had when I was in elementary school." Seriously?!? I suppose it's possible if she's only 22 or something ... but dang. Either I am a horrible guesser at other people's ages or I am not aging as gracefully as I thought I was.

Bring on the botox.

6 comments:

Heather Armstrong said...

A good friend of mine just took on two 20-year-old renters in her condo. They called her, "The lady upstairs" the other night, and it really bugged her. Since when did we all become, "the lady...?"

Corley said...

she's probably mostly blind.

Anonymous said...

O.K. Let's be clear about something. I knew you when you were 16. I knew you when you were 26. I know you now that you are 36. I would take the 36 year old version of you every time. You are smokin' hot!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

My guess is that SHE is a bad judge of age! P.S. You should pay the most attention to Mike's comment. :)

Amy and Brad said...

Here's mine. When Lisa transferred to BYU (so she would have been a sophomore...19/20-ish and I would have been 26/27-ish) a girl in her apartment complex thought I was her MOTHER. That was seriously depressing...and I was forced to be seriously rude to the girl in question. Poor thing.

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY relate to this. I wonder how many "old people" I offended with these comments in my 20's! :)