Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gratitude

It's not fun when your child is sick. Paige had a fever and was throwing up all day yesterday. I spent the day cleaning up after her, trying to keep Elle away from her (I suspected strep and didn't want it spread around the family - call me crazy) and just playing nurse. My normally energetic, bubbly, giggly, dancing child was lethargic, sleepy, pale and just plain sick.

I finally took her to the doctor in the afternoon, where they confirmed she had strep. Sitting in the lobby with her, holding her forehead as she threw up quietly into a bowl, I was struck once again by how grateful I am to be at home with my kids. Sounds like a funny time to have such an epiphany. I was just so glad it was me sitting there with her, holding her while she was sick.

I'm so happy to be a full-time mom at this time of their young lives. I know there will come a time (all too soon) when they are all in school when I will venture back into the working world or go back to school. But for now, for this short time in their childhoods, I'm eternally grateful that I'm home to nurse the sick ones back to health, to cuddle with the baby before her nap, to read books to and listen to them read to me, to sit the kids on the counter next to me while I bake cookies, to watch their eyes light up with each new discovery, to experience every little detail ....

Thank you, Mike, for seeing the value in my being home and for being my biggest supporter in doing so. I love these little people in my life more than I ever thought possible -- and I'm so happy to be their mom. Best job in the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and your sister was going to go to graduate school but chose to have another spirit come to their family instead. One never knows! MOM

Amy and Brad said...

AMEN, Mist. Well said and sentiments I so identify with!

Rachel said...

Poor Paigey. I always appreciate those moments of gratitude, no matter when they come. Puking or no puking, I'm glad to be my kids' mom.

Anonymous said...

Leave it to you, Misty, to find graditude in a bucket of puke. You are remarkable. Thanks for all you do for our kids..and for me.

Nicalee said...

Best job in the world, I couldn't agree more. What a lucky girl to have you as a mom.