A few of my friends and I did the Race for the Cure last year and quickly realized what a great event it is, so we decided to make it a yearly tradition. So many people are affected by breast cancer and thousands and thousands of people come out in great support of those courageous fighters. The fun part about the race is the lively atmosphere -- lots of pink, outrageous outfits, hilarious t-shirts... Here are a few highlights from this year:


"Jigglers 2009 -- Jiggling our way to a cure"

"Breast Jordan Buddies" instead of West Jordan, for you out-of-towners.

"Save the man boobs -- big or small, we'll save them all"

"Bra bandits"

And my personal favorite ... "Save second base"

I ran into my friend, Crissy. Seriously, Crissy, would you have guessed back in high school that we'd be running a 5k together? Awesome. :)

And then we were off .... all 19,000 of us.

It was a little comical trying to run with that many people but it was worth it. More fun t-shirts....

"Save the ta-ta's" and "Save the hoo-ha's"

.... grown women wearing pink capes ....

.... people to cheer us along ....

... and remembering the reason that we were there in the first place.

Seeing these cards on so many people's backs with names of many who have died and so many who continue to fight made for an emotional day. Seeing women with no hair who are in the fight for their lives, literally, made me so grateful for life and health and the blessing of friends and family.
This was our group at the beginning of the race....

....and here's who I finished with.

N'Lice, Krista and I slowly jogged our way through the race, with only 2 small walking breaks. I was proud of us. I haven't run that far .... hmmmm, ever. The goal for next year is to run the whole thing, no walking, and improve my time. I'm just happy to be part of the whole event. And I plan to be there year after year.
5 comments:
One blog you have me laughing, the next you have me crying. I love that race. I had to work that morning and was bummed I couldn't go. Thanks for sharing all the t-shirts and pics, I felt like I was there.
You didn't even mention yesterday that you participated in this! Some of those shirts were very clever and funny. You guys need to step yours up next year. I'll put on my thinking cap...
I saw this t-shirt on TV ... "Of course they're fake! The real ones tried to kill me!"
What an amazing thing to do. The names on the backs are so touching. (The rest are hilarious. I personally love the Jigglers one.) Good for you, Misty!! :)
Awesome!!! Good for you for doing this!!! Funny shirts!!!
Post a Comment