Monday, October 26, 2009
Scoutin'
I had a pretty cool experience this past weekend with Christian. He turned eleven (which is pretty cool in itself) and was able to go to his first overnight scout camp. Mike was out of town having a Wild Hogs-like guys trip (that deserves a post all its own) so I went to camp for the evening with Christian and the crew. It was 3 scout leaders, one other dad, 7 scouts and me. :)
I was impressed right away that the boys were the ones doing all of the work setting everything up. The older boys helped the younger boys set up the tent, light the fire, unload the trucks ... the leaders helped some but mostly stood back and directed the show from afar while the boys did the work. Oh, that my own household ran so well.





Enough with the pictures, mom. Seriously.
After everything was set up, they had a small ceremony to present the newest scouts with their books, neckerchiefs and pins.

I kept expecting Christian to be embarrassed that his mom was there with him but he didn't act it at all (aside from the picture-taking). He was happy and excited to just be there and came home the next morning all smiles. I probably slept worse than he did -- I woke up in the middle of the night hearing rain falling, and then laid there worrying about my poor child up on the mountain who was probably freezing cold. :} I'll get used to this I'm sure, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeah, you'll get used to it! Well, maybe. I've been through probably 5 or 6 campouts, and this last one I did exactly the same thing--woke up all night worrying that he was cold. Great pictures! Happy scoutin', Christian! :)
Just wait until Winter camp when they sleep in snow caves of their own making! Love the pictures, Sister Mayfield (mom)
Having a mom go on a camp out is sick and wrong! You deserve a scout medal for that!
That is so cool and I'm just a little bummed I missed it. Nice job Mom!
You are one step ahead of all the other moms :)! I am glad to know that Christian was wearing a hat and coat...smart kid.
Post a Comment