Sunday, January 3, 2010

Graduation

Elle "graduated" today from our church's nursery class to the 3 year old Sunbeam class. It all sounded so exciting initially .... to get to go with the big kids to Primary and even help mommy with Primary stuff! But the magic quickly wore off for her as she realized that Primary really meant that she had to sit quietly in her chair and listen to the lesson. Yes, she loved singing time and class time but I could see her little mind turning as she wondered where the happy days of nursery had gone. No more play time? No more Cookie Grandma (the sweet grandmas in our ward who take treats to the nursery kids and read them stories)?

Part of the way through Primary, I knelt down next to Elle and hugged her. She said, "Mom, I don't wanna be a Sunbeam anymore. Let's go play in nursery." I know, baby. Thankfully, she has two wonderful new teachers so I'm not worried about her at all. She'll be just fine. It's the start of her growing up, though. She'll be starting preschool in the fall and then I'll be the one whining and saying, "I don't want you to be a preschooler yet! Let's go home and play." Help.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

How weird that Simon has a whole year before he gets to go to primary?!?

thederricks said...

Elle is getting so big! What a cute "big girl" she is!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Yeah, that first week of Sunbeams is rough. I taught Sunbeams at the beginning of this year (for 6 months, before we moved) and they do kind of just wonder what the heck happened. I'm glad she has good teachers--that will make a big difference. And you're right... it'll be your turn to say "What happened?" come fall! Sweet, sweet days.

Nancy Nina said...

That's exactly how I felt when I graduated to Relief Society. Far few Cookie Grandmas in the various church axiliaries! :)

p.s. so fun to have you downstairs!

Nancy Wright said...

Elle please come back!! Sis. Wright needs you :)

Judy said...

Don't grow up too fast, Elle. Love Grandma