Elle learned about emergencies in preschool. She proudly showed me her 9-1-1 magnet and started to tell me all about being able to call the police on the phone. That always makes me a little nervous. None of our kids have ever called 9-1-1, knock on wood, but my cute niece did and had an unhappy policeman on her doorstep 10 minutes later. Unfortunate for Sydney but good teaching moment for my kids about not calling 9-1-1 unnecessarily.
Since Elle was so excited about it, though, I decided to turn it into a game -- the What is an Emergency? game. Goes something like this....
Is it an emergency if mommy falls and hits her head and can't wake up?
YES!
Is it an emergency if you have to clean up your toys and you want someone to help you?
No.
Is it an emergency if Elle has a seizure at Murray Pool?
YES!
Is it an emergency if you fall down and scrape your knee?
No?
Is it an emergency if your house is on fire?
YES!
Is it an emergency if Haley and Paige are being mean to you and you want to tell someone about it?
No.
Is it an emergency if we get in a car accident?
YES!
I'm hoping the message has gotten through. Although, the next day when she said, "I want to get in a car accident so I can call
9-1-1", I was a little nervous about her grip on the concept. After we talked about car accidents and how scary they are, she's fortunately changed her mind.
6 comments:
I love all the questions you asked her. I'm glad she changed her mind about the car accident, too!
I have a great 911 story for you, misty :)
I have a great 911 story for you Misty :)
Laurie has a great 911 story for you Misty :)
man I'm funny sometimes.
Misty, you are such a great mom! I can't imagine a better way to handle all of that!
What a great teacher you are. Good luck on her not calling. When 911 was first introduced, her father age 4, also learned about it in preschool. We also had a chat about not calling it unless it is a "real" emergency. You guessed it, he called anyway :) Love those days. Love, Mom
Post a Comment