Monday, June 6, 2011

Double Digits

Today, my Haley turns 10.  Funny, since she was my 10 pound baby, too.  She woke up bright and early, we went to breakfast at a tiny little cafe with amazing food, and then spent the rest of the day at Lagoon.  Cousins were there, Haley brought one of her favorite friends and life was good.  Daddy even won a giant stuffed animal for her (yeah, thanks for that one, Mikey.....).   The absolute best present Haley got?  A gift bag filled with whatever Elle thought was cool from around the house:  a marker, a Barbie, a Barbie book (personalized with Paige's name throughout), a fruit snack and random dolls from her doll house.  Kudos to Haley for making Elle feel like it was the highlight of her day.

Haley is one cool kid.  She loves, loves sports and will jump at a chance to go to a game or watch a game on tv with Mike.  She can talk intelligently with him about sports, which totally goes straight over my head, and he loves her for it.   Here's something else I love about her .... she wrote this in school:

Starry Night
by Haley Mayfield

The wind carried me away to a place lost in time.
The waves and winds were calmed by my command.
All was silent for the first time in years.
My body shivered with cold.
I couldn't take it any longer.
I fell into the dream.
But death was there to greet me.
He lured me in with promises of paradise and luxury.
I never did, nor ever will, trust him.
The place I once admired for its beauty is now known as the place where death roams,
Plotting his revenge.


Christian writes novels, Haley's a poet.  They certainly don't get those talents from their mother.

Happy birthday, Haley Dawn.  I love you, chica.


5 comments:

Judy said...

Happy Birthday from me, too. Wish I could have been at Lagoon with all of you. Love, Grandma

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I love how well-rounded she is. And obviously TALENTED!!! Fantastic. Happy birthday to Haley! :)

Kimi said...

Wow, that poem was legit. As in, legitimate. As in, she is a legitimate poet. Perhaps she gets it from her grandfather?

Did I mention that poem was really good? Because it is.

Mom and Kenz said...

You know how much I love her!!!

Misty said...

Thank you thank you very much