Since Misty recently blogged about how she and I met from her point of view, (With This Ring, I Thee Wed), I decided to write how we met from my point of view.
![]() |
| Felt Hall, BYU |
![]() |
| Mike-Summer of 1988 (a few weeks before meeting Misty) |
Intriguing. I mean, what was there not to like?
I quickly performed a self-inspection. Ocean Pacific corduroy pants—check. Izod shirt with flipped up collar—check. Worn in Converse Skid-grips—check. Drakkar cologne—check. The beginnings of a pretty decent mullet—check. And yet, inexplicably, it was clear that Misty was not nearly as impressed with me as I was with me. I had even already mentioned that I used to play football. What was wrong with this girl?
Not that it should have mattered to me. I was a big-time college man. I was taking off to live in Spain for a couple years. I wouldn't hold this poor girl’s lack of judgment against her. But in the back of my mind, her obvious lack of interest bugged me!
A couple of years later I was back at BYU and found myself walking down the stairs of the HFAC (oh my gosh--I sound like such a zoobie!) when I nearly ran smack into Misty.
![]() |
| HFAC Staircase |
![]() |
| This picture of Misty was taken within weeks of the "Hug." |
I sat a few desks away from her and gave my peripheral vision a serious workout. Honestly, I didn't know what to do. She had to like me a little--the "Hug" was proof of that. But, I had already been “Dear John’d” by her sister and dumped by her roommate. Could I really stand yet another rejection from the Farley family? Then there was the sticky issue of the other girl, who would be arriving soon.
I quickly performed a self-inspection. Forest green Girbaud jeans with the cool tag in front—check; wannabe grunge flannel shirt—check; Doc Martin shoes—check; Eternity for Men cologne—check. Hair---well, there was nothing I could do about that now.
I decided to go for it.
Looking over at her, I smiled sheepishly and said, “Hey. We should grab a root-beer down at Hires after class so I can hear what’s going on with your … people.” Somehow the absolute confidence I had when I was 18 was nowhere to be found. The other girl, who had come in the back of the room and was now watching me, walked out of the class as I slid into the chair next to Misty.
Misty blushed awkwardly and gave me a resounding and heart-felt, “Uh...why not?”
And that, my friends, was all the encouragement I needed.




7 comments:
Mike- I think I just busted a gut reading your rendition! So fun you guys! Rob and I are so grateful that you two did work out and we selfishly have you as friends!
It's all true - I witnessed it from afar. The clothes were especially accurate. Mike - you made me laugh so hard. Thanks for a wonderful start to my day!
P.S. I vote for more guest authored posts or you start a blog of your own.
A classic telling of this beautiful love story... Dave will love this one. I only wish you had illustrations along with the story to highlight the clothing!!
OK First of all--you absolutely made my day when I found your comment! How are you?? I, too, have sooo many fond memories of my sweetest friend Misty Farley and wondered who the lucky guy would be to end up with her. Then, I get to read your blog and find out that not only is he darling, it is obvious he is completely head over heals in love with his wife by his blog entry, but he participates in your blog! You lucky girl! So, my question is, when can we catch up?? I am so happy you are happy and my obsession with the Twilight series obviously only slightly pales in comparison to yours! YEAH!! I love you Misty!! My email is thehairapistclo@comcast.net. You look amazing! :)
That was awesome. Mike, you need to be a regularly-scheduled blogger.
Dude! That picture of Mike is the WORST photoshop I have ever seen.
This was great!! I cant believe Mike even knows what Midnight Sun is. Very cute to hear Mike's side of the story.
Post a Comment