Monday, May 23, 2011

An excerpt from one of my favorite new authors

(Christian's newest beginning of a story....)

Sniffing the air, I slowly took a step forward. I could almost feel the animal in my hands. If I was right, she was just around the tree to my left.

I pulled out my bow as I took another step forward. Now I could nearly smell her, as if she was right in front of me. For all I knew, she could have been. I had my eyes closed. I opened them and pushed my back against the tree. Just as I was about to turn and shoot, I reconsidered my approach. As I slung my bow back over my shoulder, I pulled out my knife.

My body tensed up. If I made even the smallest mistake, it could not only mean my death but the people behind me, too. And if we died, a whole lot of people would as well.

My buddy gave me the 'okay' signal and I shot to the side, lodging my knife on the back end of the tree. But nothing was there. It was just me. I could have sworn she would have been there.

Just as I was about to yell at my friend, I felt a foot dig into my back. I flew forward and hit the bush in front of me.

I stood up and faced my attacker. It was her! She smiled. At least I thought she did. It was a mix of a scold and anger. All together it strangely looked like a smile.

"You've got to be faster than that!" she taunted. I charged. But she disappeared. She literally vanished. Now I was angry!

"Get her! Search every part of this cursed forest!" I screamed at my team. I watched as they scrambled over each other, looking everywhere. I was furious! How could the same stupid girl get away from the most skilled team in all of Alduraq?

I grabbed the end of my knife and tried to pull it out of the tree. I must have really tried to hurt her because I couldn't get it out. I spun the handle to make a bigger hole, until finally I got it out.

Now I was not going to let her get away.

5 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

WOW!! (I would make that bold and 50 pt. font if I could.) That is AMAZING!!!! Impressive, Christian!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff...I have all kinds of questions about where this story is going: who is the girl and why are they hunting her? How can she vanish? Who are the hunters and why would their death mean the deaths of so many others?

Corley said...

I concur...I need some more information! What a good writer you've got on your hands!

kenzi said...

Impressive... someday I can say "that author rode in my carpool and even slept at my cabin!"

Judy said...

Amazing start to a story or is it a novel. Let me know when it's finished. Love, Grandma