Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What do you do if ....

.... your youngest child has recently started crying before preschool, primary and dance? Crying before anything that will separate her from mommy for any amount of time. Is it that she's my baby and we spend a lot of time alone together? All of my other kids would run into their classes or whatever without so much as a backwards glance. Elle ... not so much. I don't want to scar the child by shoving her out of the car but it's getting to be a bit much.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

6 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I always went for shoving out of the car. Actually, the only time I've had that happen was when my oldest was about 3 and Kevin & I would leave on a date. We reminded him that we do this every week and we come back every time, and that we were SO excited for him to be able to play with this fun babysitter for 2 hours, and we'd see him later. Then we walked away. And paid the babysitter extra. And he got over it after a few times of that.

Kimi said...

Andie had a year like that. Perhaps it's a youngest child thing. It was HARD! But I do think there are times when being shoved out of the car (in the most loving way possible) is, unfortunately, a necessary part of life. It's when they learn they can do hard things. Absolutely in my top 10 least favorite things to do as a mother. I've had to do it to a 16-yr-old on their first day of work, too. Still hurts to think about it, but it had to be done. Shame on the mother who puts herself before her children and takes the easy way out, right?
Right?!

Misty said...

From Kimi:

Andie had a year like that. Perhaps it's a youngest child thing. It was HARD! But I do think there are times when being shoved out of the car (in the most loving way possible) is, unfortunately, a necessary part of life. It's when they learn they can do hard things. Absolutely in my top 10 least favorite things to do as a mother. I've had to do it to a 16-yr-old on their first day of work, too. Still hurts to think about it, but it had to be done. Shame on the mother who puts herself before her children and takes the easy way out, right?
Right?!

Misty said...

From Jenn:

I always went for shoving out of the car. Actually, the only time I've had that happen was when my oldest was about 3 and Kevin & I would leave on a date. We reminded him that we do this every week and we come back every time, and that we were SO excited for him to be able to play with this fun babysitter for 2 hours, and we'd see him later. Then we walked away. And paid the babysitter extra. And he got over it after a few times of that.

Shella's Ramblings said...

Misty, I'm a firm believer in telling them you love them....and send them on their way. Nine times out of ten they calm down and enjoy their activity.

Judy said...

I would suggest she start having sleepovers at Grandma and Grandpa's house starting in August. Couldn't hurt. Love, Mom