Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pre-trek

Mike and I are helping to plan a pioneer trek re-enactment for the youth in our church. We're in charge of planning all activities for the kids (someone dubbed us the 'cruise directors' of trek), which will be fun once we figure out what we're doing.

Yesterday, the committee went up to the trek site to have an early look at the trail and get a feel for where we'll be come July. Being on the high plains of Wyoming, no matter the month, you never know what the weather will be. Yesterday, we had 30 degrees, snow and thick, heavy mud. Yay Wyoming!
Our guide who showed us around the huge ranch. The trek is near Ft. Bridger and we'll cover 26 miles in 3 1/2 days. 250 kids, 75 leaders pulling handcarts along part of the actual pioneer trail. We saw rust marks on rocks that were from the pioneers' handcarts,
saw 'Brigham's Arrow', which was an indicator Brigham Young made to help direct the pioneers to come,
and saw several pioneer graves, both marked and unmarked. This trek will be difficult but hopefully unforgettable for everyone that goes.
Mike & I are having fun already...

6 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

You guys will be AWESOME. What a great experience! Preston did a trek right before we left WA, and it was great, but I imagine actually being in WY would be amazing!

Happy2Bme said...

Oh man. It looks so awesome! We were gonna be a Ma and Pa, but had to decline since it's 3 weeks before I'm due. We didn't want to give the youth that kind of REAL pioneer experience. And I DEFINITELY didn't want to have that myself!

Mom and Kenz said...

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Look at that last picture. Seriously. I'm a total dork. :)

Judy said...

You will probably need those same clothes in July :)
I remember our trek. That handcart gets pretty heavy with everything that's on it. Have fun. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Hello, trek hats??
You guys will have a great time. Hopefully, it will be a little warmer when you go.